Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: sheep poo fertiliser  (Read 4767 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
sheep poo fertiliser
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:17:21 am »
There was a brief mention in this months HF magazine about using sheep poo to make a liquid fertiliser for use on vegetables. My compost heap is not ready yet but I do have sheep poo!!!!

Any ideas?  Does anyone out there make it?  How do I do it?

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: sheep poo fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »
Last year I did a sheep poo and nettle fertiliser.

I got a medium sized water butt (but any container will do - however, a water butt is useful because then you have a tap you can fill your watering can from, and it has a lid) and a net potato sack.

Filled water butt with water and filled sack with sheep poo and nettles then lowered potato sack into the water like a big teabag. Left it there all summer.

The resulting stuff was popular with the plants - the smell isn't so popular with humans but if it's contained in a covered container then there's no smell unless you lift the lid!!
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:26 pm »
Another option if your sheep do nice dry pelleted droppings like rabbit pellets - tends to be in winter when they are eating mainly hay - is to sweep these up (I know - looks daft  :dunce:) and store them in a lidded bucket.  When you are preparing your soil for planting dig some of these in, or when you need an extra nutrient boost during the growing season, spread them as a light mulch around hungry plants.  No smell, no mess  :thumbsup:  I take some to my aunt who lives in a city with close neighbours - her garden is now very fertile but no-one gets upset at the smell  :sheep:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Plantoid

• Joined May 2011
  • Yorkshireman on a hill in wet South Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 09:43:10 pm »
It's not advised to put the liquid poo feed on your salad crops unless it is very carefully put on the soil at the  roots and not the leaves or fruits in case of ecoli tum upsets etc.
Only use it on crops that will get boiled .

You could also  lay out the neat sheep muck on some concrete , stomp it flat turn it a couple of times  hose it / wet it for two or three days turn it abit more and the action of the weather will have knocked off most of the burning nitrogen .
Use it in this broken down form direct in the soil of the beds a week or two before putting in your greedy feeding plants like brassicas peas or beans . Don't use it on the carrot or other root crop bed as it tends to encourage forking of the roots or makes for excess top growth .
International playboy & liar .
Man of the world not a country

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:55:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

Really useful. Never thought about bacteria in there  ...   :o .......shall go ahead but only on my runner beans and things.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 03:44:21 pm »
grandpa use to take us up the moors on sheep dropping collection duties, as if we didn't have enough from ours at home ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS