Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blood in poo!  (Read 14098 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
blood in poo!
« on: March 11, 2012, 02:21:09 pm »
Advice please. Have a hogget with a very dirty bum. Noticed that it was wet inb the week so wormed on Friday morning. Today he looks really miserable and his squits seem to be worse with blood/mucus in them. He was heptovacP treated about 4 weeks ago. Short of getting the vet out any advice? :sheep: :(

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: blood in poo!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 03:22:59 pm »
Coccidiosis?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 05:49:28 pm »
surely that's what the Heptavac is for?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »
No, heptavac is for clostridial diseases, coccidia is different. Get some stuff from the vet for him, cos if it does on for long it damages the gut lining and then they don't 'do' very well, even when you've got rid of it.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:55:20 pm »
does anyone else have any ideas?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »
What fleecewife said! Coccidiosis
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 03:39:32 pm »
i thought it mainly affected youbng lambs. How do i know what it is? How do I treat  it?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 06:47:17 pm »
As Fleecewife says - Coccidiosis. Go to the vet, quickly. Tell them the symptoms, they'll give you stuff to drench it with. You need to get on with treating it, you risk permanent damage if you don't.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:42:10 pm »
he seems much better today, he's happy in himself and feeding. yesterday when I turned him over and pressed his gut a huge amount of gas was expelled along with gloopy, bloody, poop. Today he seems to have dried up and no wind. Do you think this could have been from a huge worm burden?

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 10:47:34 am »
Called the vey yesterday just to be double safe. He confirmed that it was probably a heavy worm burden and said it had been a funny year for worms even though wormed in the Autum he's seen a lot of cases of worm issues due to the mild winter. He's still not 100% but I'm hopeing we are over the worse

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 10:21:09 pm »
Take a fresh dung sample from him and take it to your vets, they can test it for worm eggs and coccidiosis. It is possible you have resistant worms so a different wormer group will be needed, but only the vet can find this out. If it is coccidiosis this can live in the soil and re infect sheep in wet conditions when the ground gets poached.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:59:52 am »
.... sound advice from Hazelwood. :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 10:02:05 am by Tilly »

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2012, 11:17:33 am »
my understanding from .net research is that all sheep carry coccidiosis and evidence of presence in a sample was no diagnosis?

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 01:15:22 pm »
my understanding from .net research is that all sheep carry coccidiosis and evidence of presence in a sample was no diagnosis?

NO! Coccidiosis is or can be, in the ground and I know this because I rented 10 acres about 6 or 7 years ago and put all my ewes and lambs out on it as it had not had stock on for sometime (about 6 months).....bang down went several older lambs and my vet who also keeps a good flock took a sample and pronounced coxy. We treated all the ewes and lambs and the following year on the same ground we put out medicated lick buckets to get the problem before it got us! Vet said it was not the sheep...never had it ever before but the pasture.
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Hazelwood Flock

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Dorset.
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2012, 02:38:08 pm »
My sheep have picked it up from grazing I took over from a dairy farm, only the ewes picked it up in the first year and showed no symptoms - they were just carriers. When they lambed, the lambs picked it up from the bedding / ewes udders and started to scour at 3 weeks old. I treat each lamb with Vecoxan as soon as symptoms appear and they are responding well. The first one was a bit persistent but has now started putting weight on and is looking bonny. I will treat the ewes pre lambing next year, but will have to treat as symptoms appear in the lambs as they will continue to pick it up from the infected ground.
Not every day is baaaaaad!
Pedigree Greyface Dartmoor sheep.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS