Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tail docking  (Read 3142 times)

wellies

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Shrewsbury
    • Fairfax Ryeland Flock
    • Facebook
tail docking
« on: March 11, 2012, 05:38:46 am »
morning everyone  :wave:

Our little lamb was castrated and docked by band at two days old. The vet came out to help me do it, he did the castration and then he watched as I did the tail. Little chap was a little quiet for a few hours but is was soon bright and eating but he does have some swelling above the band on his tail. Is this something I should be worried about? Also he has some of the delightful rock hard faeces stuck to the base of his tail which I can't get off. It is not blocking his anus but I can't imagine it's very comfy. Any ideas how to get it off, I've tried warm soapy water, baby wipes and it's too close to the skin to be snipped off. Would really appreciate any help. Thanks guys 

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
Re: tail docking
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:32:29 am »
Its turns to like a crystal doesnt it!  Harder than a diamond but stinky. Eventually the hair will grow and you'll be able to trim it off easier if stinky poo stops coming out and getting stuck that is. Warm soapy water does help soften it - never tried it but maybe some liquid paraffin? Be interesting to know if someone else has a solution.

The tail above the band is still alive so may swell slightly - but spray some iodine on it and make sure there is no poo round the band as is will eventually and is a 'wound' of sorts and needs to be clean.

If its becoming too swelled then you may need to contact the vet again who can give some anti-biotics. 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »
Watch for infection where the tail is swollen - if it is warmer to touch than the surrounding skin then you need antibiotics. Are you sure the bulge is not made up of wool?  It's years since we last docked a tail and I don't remember any problems.

Getting those rocks off the tail can be difficult.  My OH has been seen using daggers or foot shears to cut through the rock itself, snipping off pieces until it's mostly gone.  Or sometimes you can crush it in your hand, whilst avoiding the tail.  We have tried vaseline to prevent the rocks from building up again but without much success.  They are a particular problem with Soays of all ages - tiny tail but just as much s#!*  :D

Our dogs are in seventh heaven if they get one of those lovely lumps of solid poop to munch on  :o 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:13:03 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 12:14:39 pm »

Our dogs are in seventh heaven if they get one of those lovely lumps of solid poop to munch on  :o 8)

eeewwww :dog: :sheep:
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 04:13:07 pm »
 :D :D
Lamb biscuits ;D :dog: :dog:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS