Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When do goatlings grow up?  (Read 2951 times)

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
When do goatlings grow up?
« on: March 10, 2012, 09:52:56 pm »
As subject says really! When will my goatling slow down, stop being a hooligan and become a nice citizen like her mum?

Willow is 10 months old and is such a cheeky, hectic little thing. She gallops about the field like she was a race horse, totally ignores the electric fencing, believes the horses (16.3 and 17h) are there to bully, is mounting her mum... even found her the other day in next doors field, with last years Dexter calves pinned into a corner! Her mum is just the sweetest, calmest, most affectionate creature, will Willow ever be this way? (she is very affectionate TBH)
Too many animals isn't enough animals!

Moderate tendencies towards hyperactivity :-)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: When do goatlings grow up?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 07:03:41 am »
My 2 and a half year old saanenX is exactly the same!  totally bonkers.  Then again Puffin, who is due to kid in 7 days still hasn't calmed down either (she's 2)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:20:46 am »
She is sannen cross too! so she might stay like this? Ekkkk! Might try doing harness work with her. Think she needs a job to work her mind.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:38 am »
I thought Savannah would calm down when she suddenly came into milk last year but no, we had mad goat hoofing it round the paddock swinging a large udder with her  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:48:42 am »
All ours are total hooligans, why walk anywhere when you can go hopskippity sideways and terrorise the geese and dogs, anthing above floor level is to be climbed on and jumped off several times just to test it to destruction. Fences are to be laughed at and popped over with impunity, I give up.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:03:34 am »
Only one or two of mine have become more matronly as they have got older...... don't think you have a hope !!!!!!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:07:56 pm »
My mums old goat, who is I think 10, was "helping" me and my dad to round up the sheep today. She still hasn't grown up yet.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

moody_mare

• Joined Nov 2011
  • South Gloucestershire
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:50:23 pm »
Great  :thumbsup: sounds like I got really lucky to have one sweet, chilled labrador of a goat. now I know the goatling won't grow out of this stage, I will invest in better fencing (gatcombe woods is next door!).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS