Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Market  (Read 6739 times)

princesspiggy

Re: Market
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2012, 04:54:35 am »

I have been looking for a Rare Breed Meat Coop or the like, buying from small farmers but selling to the wider (top end) market, but haven't found one, which surprised me.  Anyone know of such a thing?

have you tried the Meat Marketing scheme with the RBST? they buy finishers and weaners etc, but unfortunately dont operate where we are in scotland. there is one in wooler and others around england.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 06:55:58 am »
If you're buying then markets are the thing. If you're selling they're not :( If you have enough land, better to rear them and tout around restaurants/hotels some of which will buy the whole carcasse as it comes from the abbatoir. I have an outlet now for my Kune pork by doing this. Free range, local, rare or minority breed is the thing these days(as it should be!!)
The restaurant that buys mine is proud to advertise it a" happy pork"  They give details of rearing and how they are taken gently and carefully to slaughter.

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 09:19:17 am »

I have been looking for a Rare Breed Meat Coop or the like, buying from small farmers but selling to the wider (top end) market, but haven't found one, which surprised me.  Anyone know of such a thing?

have you tried the Meat Marketing scheme with the RBST? they buy finishers and weaners etc, but unfortunately dont operate where we are in scotland. there is one in wooler and others around england.

Not sure this exists anymore, thought it was handed over to TBMM (Traditional Breeds Meat Marketing) though i understand they have been having some problems recently. Worth a google for info.
Mandy  :pig:

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 10:06:51 am »
there is word that the BPA are intending to run such a scheme but really cant see it working as different owners feed differently and expect different standards to much details and comparisons to write here
the best solution is get off your arse get out there and promote your own pork as said already to restaurants hotels and such like but remember they have been buying the commercial pigs so price does matter to them  :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2012, 12:07:53 pm »
If people could taste real home grown pork they would never buy the cheap imports again. The difference is so great. I am sure butchers get asked for local meat all the time and would welcome a supply. yes it cost more but so does any good meat. Buy cheap, buy tasteless.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS