Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mastitis?  (Read 3299 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Mastitis?
« on: March 09, 2012, 01:30:54 pm »
Morning, Day 1: Ewe lambed triplets. Lambs seen suckling, colostrum given (as matter of course) and additional (formula) milk fed by hand as there are three lambs and when checked through day they didn't have full bellies (in fact, had very little in there from what I could tell).

Morning, Day 2: Lambs made it through night but two lambs needed attention as cold and not willing to take milk. Warmed up, given glucose and when revived, formula. When behaving normally (by now a few hours later) went back out with mum.

Whilst they were 'in', Mum checked over - both teat milk ducts blocked. Stripped (were very blocked) and milk flowing again, but udder looking 'bruised'. Heavy with milk.

Mum eaten ok, didn't finish her breakfast but luckily not looking 'down', is attending to her lambs and pushing them to suckle.

I'm keeping a watchful eye to see if they suckle ok. if they don't i may have to supplement the milk again soon. Obviously if she starts to look 'not right' will call the vet out immediately.

In the meantime, what is best for mum and lambs? If they suckle it will help reduce all that milk she is carrying, so I don't want to wade in with milk. But it's a fine line.

No blood or anything untoward came from teats, it was milk.

Is this actually Mastitis, or a preempt to it? Do I need to get the vet out at this stage?

Guidance please.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Mastitis?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 06:07:12 pm »
The teats will have a waxy plug in the end when the ewe lambs; if you have your hands on a ewe at the time, always draw a couple of squirts from each teat, partly to remove this plug and mainly to check the milk supply.

It is, I suppose, just about possible that these plugs never got removed until now - it would mean that the lambs have been living on what you've bottle-fed them as they wouldn't have got anything from mum.

If they were the waxy plugs, then everything should be fine from hereon.  If you are worried the lambs still seem hungry and mum seems to still have plenty of milk, then it'd be best to help them suckle (hold her still for them and guide them on), or, if they won't suckle, milk her and either tube it or bottle it into them.

If you gave the lambs a full dose of colostrum in the first 6 hours, then they should be fine, but if they may have had too little then their immune status would be compromised - so keep a close eye on them and react promptly if they seem to be coming down with anything.

It doesn't sound like mastitis, but if it were, the best thing for her would be twice-daily stripping anyway, so all round the best thing is to get those lambs suckling!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 01:59:37 am »
 Yes I agree - would almost definitely say it's not mastitis. If it were, not only would there most likely be spots of blood (like you said), but the milk would have clots and her udder would feel hard and hot.
 I would carry on as you are, letting the lambs get as much as they can. You will notice if they are not getting enough, as you did before, and she's obviously got a lot of milk, so if all goes well she may be able to feed them all. Though you may need to supplement them after a couple of weeks.
 I wouldn't call the vet at this stage. But obviously, if anything changes - like she's off colour, or her udder gets hard or inflamed, then she will need some pretty prompt treatment.     

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »
Thanks guys. Just to update, it seems I spotted it in time. Ma fine, lit'luns needing supplement of milk but doing ok so far.

No mastitis.

So, that's another thing I've learnt to deal with (I might yet make a decent shepherd).

:farmer:  :sheep:

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 02:54:41 pm »
be careful giving supplement. ewe has milk, lambs need to take it to stimulate the right production. No need to confuse them and get them feeding from a bottle. Be patient, watch them feed. It will all fall into place

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS