Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Herbal wormer  (Read 44969 times)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Herbal wormer
« on: October 22, 2007, 09:49:43 pm »
Anyone got any experience of herbal wormer, good or bad? I'm uncomfortable about using chemical wormers but do. I've got an information leaflet about a product called Verm-X, now available for dogs, cats, poultry, horse and sheep. I'd really like to try it but would welcome         any information anyone has.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Herbal wormer
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 11:14:17 am »
hi rosemary,
i've just bought some for my chickens. and will start administering this weekend when i can isolate individuals to compare results with oyther stuff. i will let you know later how it goes.
p.s. your mind works a bit like mine on the calder ranger front.

jan

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 11:14:29 am »
Havent used it myself but know of quite a few people that have used it on their chooks, and they have all said how good it is.  Must get some I think.
Naughty people about the Calders!!! ;D ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 07:00:59 pm »
Anyone out there able to draw a Calder Ranger, complete with hat? I have no artistic talent at all...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 06:36:09 pm »
I've read the blurb and I'm going to give it a go with the sheep and horses initially, since I don't have any wormer in hand for them. In a fit of efficiency, I bought enough wormer for the dogs and cats for the whole year and it's too expensive to waste. If it's successful with the sheep and horses, I'll expand its use.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 09:29:39 am »
having issued the first treatment 3 weeks ago i am still not too sure if it has worked on all my chickens. they are due a secand treatment at the weekend so maybe this will show definite results. it is difficult when birds free range at times due to wild birds like pheasants sneeking around for food and water. but shortly they will go into winter housing so hopefully next spring the ground will have cleansed a bit. i don't know if i will use the same stuff on the pigs yet?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 09:26:47 pm »
Carl, how did you get on with the herbal wormer? I'm about to worm our poultry and planned to give it a go. To be honest, I think the worming is all a bit hit or miss, since I'm never sure if all the hens eat enough or any. We usually just do a wee poo examination and see if we see anything.

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:54:07 pm »
I use the wormer for  the chickens and it seems to work, though as someone said , you don't know if they all eat it. I've used the dog wormer too with ok results. The dog loved them and was always begging for more. The cat liked the first few but then refused to eat any more. Good job it was a free sample!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 09:57:00 am »
We've done our hens (3 days) and sheep (7 days). I will have an egg count done for the sheep at some point, but we'll just need to keep an eye on the hens and their leavings.

As far as wormers go, unless you drench individual animals, you don't really know how much they've had. We used to use Flubenvet and the same applied. However, we have the liquid Verm X for the hens - we soaked small pieces of bread in the liquid and fed it to the hens and every hen had some. They seem to like it fine.

I'll post back with "results".

Rosemary

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 10:14:30 am »
i have been using the verm x pellets on my birds and have struggled to come to a conclusion on its results. they don't seem to all get the right amount, though i think there is no signs of a worm infestation in my flock.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 10:23:51 am »
I suppose the proof of the pudding etc etc - if we´ve no worm infestation, it must be doing the job. I expect it doesn´t work like a conventional wormer, given the way it´s given over a number fo days. I never knew which hens took the Flubenvet either since some eat more pellets than others.

I´m happier not giving them chemicals though, so long as it works.

Rosemary

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 11:00:10 am »
This may sound like a daft question, but i'll ask it anyway...

How do you tell/know if your chooks have worm infestation? what are the signs?

confusedwhippet

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mid Clyth, Caithness
    • Caithness Rare Breeds
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 10:37:13 pm »
just wondering if there were any updates on this topic as I'm thinking of using this for my sheep?
Caithness Rare Breeds - Working to preserve livestock native to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland

Crofting Supplies - For all your crofting needs
www.croftingsupplies.com

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2008, 09:31:04 pm »
I'm going to send away samples to have an egg count done this weekend, so I'll let you know the results when I get them back.

resistance is fertile

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2008, 05:57:09 pm »
We use the Juliette de Bairacli Levy book quite alot of general advice on health around the farm.

There is also this for chickens which may be useful.

http://www.kingbirdfarm.com/Layerhealthcompendium.pdf

We find the main thing, though is to give everything large ammonts of garlic (crushed in food, oil in drinking water, and evrywhere amongst the pasture and woodland pig forage) this sorts out most infestations of mites, lice and worms to the point where I dont know when the last time we had an issue was!

Never used drugs on any of the animals as yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS