Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: insurance advice please  (Read 5993 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
insurance advice please
« on: March 07, 2012, 08:30:29 pm »
I have spoken to the NFU today about liability insurance for my small flock of sheep .....only 7 ewes. They will insure them but only if I take out my house insurance with them because they said the cost would be too high if they treated it as a separate policy. They are going to speak to me again when the house insurance ends but that is not for some time.

I was wondering what other people with small flocks did about insurance. Do people insure and what type of cover? Any recommendations of good companies to try? Do I actually need insurance?

Thank you

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: insurance advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:27:54 pm »
NFU - house, contents, livestock, cars - the lot.

I think it will be prohibitively expensive to insure a small flock of sheep separately. With only 7 ewes you could wait until house insurance is to be renewed and then go for it.

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 09:48:30 am »
The NFU can only cover animals on house insurance if your land borders your property.  I rent land a short walk from my house and they can't provide me with cover

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:36:02 am »
Ahh .....right thank you.

Land does border our house so that shpouldnt be a problem. I am contacting a few more companies today to see what they say. If not will have to wait until house insurance is ready for renewal.

I dont know how necessary the insurance is .....just worry in case they ever escape .....though puss cat is more likely to be on the lane than they are!!!  My neighbours cows, including the bull are quite often out and many a sheep but not mine yet. Mind you I am a bit paranoid about secure fencing since they are soay!!!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 11:52:50 am »
We're everything with NFU too but have heard Farmer's mercantile are quite good too.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

the_smallholder

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:01:08 pm »
Have you tried XXXXXX Insurance? I found the advert on the Smallholder Directory (www.smallholder-agriculture.co.uk). They only cover smallholders and small working farms and cover things like working dogs and rare breeds and anything up to 50 acres.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:05:04 am by Dan »

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 03:45:45 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Thanks for that.

Perfect timing as our insurance is up this month and we were told this was the best time to sort things out.

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »
I tried NFU but their quote was prohibitively expensive for me   :-[ I ended up going with Cliverton Insurance  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
at least with nfu they pay out  most of the other company's when you have a claim wont pay out or find that you are not covered   happy to take your shillings but just not wanting to pay out 
i know one that jumped ship from nfu to another competitor he was told if you leave and have a claim we don't want you back   then he got his quad bike stolen and it was not covered    funny how he was saving the price of the quad in the first place :farmer:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »
Have you tried XXXXXX Insurance? I found the advert on the Smallholder Directory (www.smallholder-agriculture.co.uk). They only cover smallholders and small working farms and cover things like working dogs and rare breeds and anything up to 50 acres.

Do you happen to own/work for XXXXXX by any chance? can't help noticing that you've made only 3 posts on TAS and all 3 say exactly the same as this one!
How about you post in the introduction and tell us about yourself and your smallholding? would be lovely to give you a proper welcome  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:05:26 am by Dan »
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 05:03:17 pm »
well spoted plums :roflanim:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »
Well, I think its a bit cheeky to just jump in to sell your wares without saying Hello first  ;)

but apologies if you are genuinely so pleased with what XXXXXX have offered you as a smallholder you want to shout it from the roof tops. Personally I prefer NFU mutual because hubby works for them and I get to drive a nice company car. There, said it - no bias or anything  ;D   (oh and they are actually very good and their reputation speaks for itself)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:05:39 am by Dan »
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 05:12:27 pm »
i thought that sales pitch would come         they actually work out cheaper when you tally everything up    we use them as well    but never had to make a claim yet :farmer:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »
 ;D   I couldn't let opportunity pass Robert, could I?

We use them too - also no claims thank goodness  :fc:

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »
well where else would you go :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS