Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Any advice on my checklist?  (Read 6840 times)

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Any advice on my checklist?
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 02:24:30 pm »
I keep a hot water bottle handy too always good if you don't have power for a heat lamp or you have a power cut and need to keep a lamb warm, I collect old towels as well that I can boil wash or throw away these are handy when you have to help dry a lamb or just to put over the hot water bottle to stop mess and accidents

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 02:37:25 pm »
I had a hot water bottle around here somewhere, but as usual it's went walkies  ::) I have a few old towels ready as well so if i can't find the hot water bottle they will have to do :) got the full length gloves for £8 which is great, hears hoping I don't have to use them though
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 03:56:41 pm »
We have never had a case of waterymouth in 16 years (fingers crossed).  I understand that it is more a problem of lambing large numbers indoors, than lambing smaller flocks, especially outside.  Please think very carefully whether you can justify the need to use antibiotics routinely where you don't have a known problem - that is the way to create antibiotic-resistant bugs.  For navels, 10% iodine (not 5%), especially if dipped not sprayed, is completely adequate for normal lambing.
Pay close attention to hygiene, wearing gloves as discussed above, and using a disinfectant in the lambing shed, to prevent infections rather than using routine antibiotics 'just in case'.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:59:11 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 04:09:24 pm »
We have never had a case of waterymouth in 16 years (fingers crossed).  I understand that it is more a problem of lambing large numbers indoors, than lambing smaller flocks, especially outside.  Please think very carefully whether you can justify the need to use antibiotics routinely where you don't have a known problem - that is the way to create antibiotic-resistant bugs.  For navels, 10% iodine (not 5%), especially if dipped not sprayed, is completely adequate for normal lambing.
Pay close attention to hygiene, wearing gloves as discussed above, and using a disinfectant in the lambing shed, to prevent infections rather than using routine antibiotics 'just in case'.
I was scared to approached the antibiotics issue as I have been critisied in the past for trying to be more natural with my sheep.

I totally agree especially with the antibiotics, I have only had to use them once for an infection from a cut that I never spotted, even after a dog attack I clean them thoroughly with antiseptic and vet was happy for me to monitor for any problems and not use them as a 'just in case method'.
I try to not use drugs of any kind if possible as like humans a resistance can be built up which means when you do need to use them the are less effective or even not effective.
I think if good hygiene is followed when lambing then it is not necessary to give drugs, boil lambing ropes before and after use and store dry and airtight. I also use hibiscrub before after after lambing to make sure I am as clean as possible for the ewe and then for myself even when using gloves.

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 04:43:45 pm »
Thanks for the advice :) I don't think I will use antibiotics unless a problem occurs because as you say that can cause bugs to become resistant. I'm keeping things as clean as possible to prevent any infections so I will look into getting some hibiscrub, I've read a few comments about it. Can it be picked up at the likes of Millers stores or only the vets? Thanks again, I really am grateful for all the help, it's great to have somewhere to discuss things with experienced people  :)
Pretty new to all this sheep-keeping :) tiny smallholder since October 2011 - 4 ewes, 30+ hens and a Jack Russell :)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 07:02:48 pm »
Most agri stores, horsey places and probably even the chemist will stock Hibiscrub - cheaper than the vets.  Our vet always recommended it as a general wound cleaner too.

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 08:08:51 pm »
Ok I'll look there first, thanks! It seems like a great general thing to have about the yard anyway :)

smudger

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Devon/ West Exmoor
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 12:11:44 am »
When I asked my vet for antibiotics she gave me penicillin. Not sure why but neighbour says its pretty impossible to overdose. Maybe a compromise between not using antibiotics but having something on hand if you need it. Still costs mind...And its not  a single jab, probably 3 days you need to give it.
Traditional and Rare breed livestock -  Golden Guernsey Goats, Blackmoor Flock Shetland and Lleyn Sheep, Pilgrim Geese and Norfolk Black Turkeys. Capallisky Irish Sport Horse Stud.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 07:38:27 am »

I don't routinely carry antibiotics, and, as I lamb outside, any ewe I help tends not to stick around to be given them.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 09:49:07 am »

I don't routinely carry antibiotics, and, as I lamb outside, any ewe I help tends not to stick around to be given them.

Actually I do routinely carry both Penicillin LA and Terramycin LA as it's not always possible to get to the vet quickly.  However, I am very selective about when I use them.  It helps that my profession was in nursing I suppose so the decision is easy to make.  If I was stuck I would phone the vet for advice.  Last year I didn't use my antibiotics even once and the previous year I used them (Pen) after a very dificult Soay delivery where she and I were both bruised (I did also have to go to the vet to get anti-inflammatories for her).
I lamb outside too but if there's a problem needing antiBs I would give them immediately, before the animal made off.  Otherwise the whole flock has to come in to catch one animal  ::)
I feel it is important to use antibiotics where they are really needed, and often speed is of the essence, which is why I carry my own supply.  My concern is with routine use as a preventative rather than looking at each situation and deciding if the treatment required is antibiotics or some other form of care.
If my supply of medicines is unused at the end of the year then I see that as a mark of success, rather than a waste of money.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:51:09 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 11:58:29 am »
If my supply of medicines is unused at the end of the year then I see that as a mark of success, rather than a waste of money.

Great attitude  :thumbsup:  :wave:

We do routinely use Oroject or Spectam in the lambing shed but if I had a small flock and plenty pens, or if I was somewhere less inclement, I would not expect to need this precaution.  The trouble is, the prophylactic must be given within a couple of hours of birth to be effective, and something may happen tomorrow that causes it to be needed; with our numbers, we could lose a lot of lambs, and/or have several weakened and needing longer treatment programmes to recover, in that 24 hours, so on balance we find it best to use the prophylactic.

Apart from that we would not use antibiotics as a routine precaution, no.  We even carry purple sprays (Septiclense and Footcare) for feet where there is no evidence of active bacterial infection, reserving the blue antibiotic spray for feet with active infection.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Muttley94

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 03:49:17 pm »
I have now got spectam and some purple spray, anything more then I will get the vet out :) thanks to you all for your help, I know everyone will be busy and I appreciate you giving up even the smallest of your "me-time" to help a newbie  :sheep:  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS