Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Border Collie expertise please  (Read 9929 times)

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
Re: Border Collie expertise please
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 09:53:54 am »
the ones with a black roof in there mouth are more inclined to work or be trained for whatever pourpose  :farmer:

Blimey - that is not good news -  :-[ ---MY Megs mouth is all pink! ::)

Goosepimple -good luck with your little bitch- now summer time is on the way there will be lots more time to try new things.  :dog: ;D

Tilly :wave:

princesspiggy

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
ur very lucky, my dogs are 7 and still a bit thick ...lol
did u train her or is it all instinct.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 02:15:55 pm »
I'm not trying to interfere but I wouldn't do too much agility training until she's about eighteen months old. Too much strain on young joints can lead to problems in middle age :) Things like puzzle balls with her food in or being given little tasks to do throughout the day, bring in the post, fetch this or that for me(as long as they are always in the same place) will keep her mind occupied. :) :dog:

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 06:31:15 pm »
Thanks for that everyone, no we haven't been training her to herd things - only to respect the livestock so she doesn't bite them or scare them - they are all used to her by now and she's being great.  Her herding instinct is purely that - instinct and she is doing is beautifully.   Thanks for that info Sylvia - she is about 18mths now but what you have said is exactly what our vet said when we got her - not to put too much stress on the joints so we are aware of that.  Her 'roof' is black actually!
Many thanks for all your support everyone, great as ever ;D ;D ;D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

robert waddell

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 06:34:23 pm »
 :thumbsup: :farmer:

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 03:24:58 am »
good to hear things are going well

Spay BC is a rescue dog we ave had for coming up to two years and at the moment he is not sure about some people but has fun and games with the ducks - Donald the drake thinks its his job to chase spay round the garden
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Sharnoak

• Joined Mar 2012
  • Blampied, Victoria, Australia
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2012, 09:09:36 pm »
Glad to hear the penny has dropped ;) Love the comment about the devil making work for idle collies!

My Briard pup (10 months old) has just discovered the piglets, and is obsessed with them. He does 'borders' all around their pen, and he's pretty keen on the sheep too!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 09:44:07 pm »
it helps when training them if your sheep dont just stop stare at them and laugh. luckily they are bucket trained as are the sheep.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 07:24:21 am »
My Frieslands used to chase dogs ;D ;D

princesspiggy

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2012, 07:39:20 am »
it helps when training them if your sheep dont just stop stare at them and laugh. 

shame  :D :D :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 04:36:27 pm »
I once rescued a BC who was from working stock and would have made a brilliant working dog.  You only had to say sheep (or occasionally sheet if she misheard) and she would be at the door ready.  Open the door and she would chase the sheep up the drive to the gates, then sit and watch to amke sure it didn't come back.

I once saw her lying on the lawn, nose to nose with a young sheep.  As soon as I gave her the word she was off.

I had more than one offer for her from, people who keep sheep.

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 05:31:31 pm »
I once saw her lying on the lawn, nose to nose with a young sheep. 

If this photo upload works (first attempt), something like this?

Haylo-peapod

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 05:33:04 pm »
Hmm, upload didn't quite go to plan....

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 05:45:43 pm »
That's ok!  I got a nice close up of a tail on a double click!  Can see enough in the wee photo, and very nice too - kissing cousins? :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS