Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TB testing costs  (Read 4057 times)

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
    • Making Life Exciting Again...
TB testing costs
« on: March 07, 2012, 02:32:09 pm »
Hello all,

I've bought two jersey / british blue calves which will be arriving soon.  They are just over 6 weeks old, so were TB tested prior to sale.  Is this cost normally paid by the seller or the buyer?  And if by the buyer, how much is it likely to have cost?

Cheers,
Neil

robert waddell

Re: TB testing costs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 02:36:46 pm »
i was under the impression the government paid for TB testing :farmer:

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 02:59:04 pm »
Hi Robert,

I think you're right, but they only pay for the scheduled annual (or however frequently) test.  From what I understand there is only 60 days after a test to move cattle, so if you need to move them off outside of the 60 day window following a routine test, then you have to get another test done and it costs money.

This is for England anyway.

I am guessing they're pretty hot on it round here, as the lady from AH dropped in for a coffee just days after I got my herd number.  But then I'm next door to a farm which has lost loads to TB recently.  :(

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 03:07:30 pm »
if you are in a hot spot they may not like you moving cattle in even calves it would be worse if moving out the area pedigree breeders in Wales are having a hard time :farmer:

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
Down here in Somerset, I think the test itself is about four and a half quid. I would assume you would need to pay a call out on top of that. Annual test is indeed free. ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Di

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 10:04:07 am »
I have just had a pre-movement TB test as my heifer was going to somone else's bull.  The cost was £46 + VAT.  She now has to be back on my holding within 60 days of the first day of the test.  The annual TB test is paid for by the government.  I am also in Somerset.

When we bought in 2 cows recently we agreed to go halves on the pre-movement test with the seller.

shropshire_blue

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Dorset BH21
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 02:05:07 am »
Thanks everyone.  I pick them up saturday afternoon.  Very exciting!

antfromfarm

• Joined May 2011
  • middleton greater manchester
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 08:01:27 am »
Hi,sorry,bit late in  the chat but your right.The ministry will allocate a local vet who will test for tb and brucellociss at the same time.It only takes a few minutes and they just draw a little blood to send away to be tested.This is a free service.
Depending what area you arein the country you tast at diffrent intervils,mine is evey 4yrs as is low risk whereas some are every yrwith tests on off movements also.
If you register at bcms gateway for animal movement it makes it earier.
If you need any help,just ask,you will enjoy your cattle.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS