Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to Farrowing  (Read 3232 times)

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
New to Farrowing
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:44:58 am »
I have my first sow due to farrow in April, what do I need to do prior to the birth for the sow and after, what equipment do people suggest I have in preparation, we have a brick build sty here for her to go in about a week before the due date which will have tapped water and electricity so that is organised, it is just the rest I am unsure of

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: New to Farrowing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:50:21 am »
Hi
Have a look at the GOS website www.oldspots.org.uk under 'keeping pigs & breeding' tab, choose getting started and theres some articles i have written, page down to the farrowing one and theres all the info you need there (well its my routine anyway) sounds like you're already well on the way to being organised with your set up, light & water are always good starts. And fingers crossed all goes well. I have a sow due this weekend and she always needs help she's on the little side but manages to produce monster piglets!!
HTH All the best
Mandy  :pig:

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:37:58 am »
Definitely read Mandy's articles, they are brilliant.

Good luck with the farrowing, let us know how you get on.   :love: :pig: :love:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:47:20 am »
that article was brilliant and taught me a lot about what to expect, looking forward to the birth, it is a saddle back sow to a GOS that has farrowed before and I have been told had no problems and is a good mother, so hopefully she will know what to do  ;) the next one is a Berkshire gilt in June by then i wll know what to do lol

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07:49 am »
Glad to help, keep us posted on how you get on. As i've said the articles are all about how we do it but you can use info from them to help you to adapt your situation and if you have anything to add feel free to comment, the one thing with pigs is that no matter how long you've kept them theres always learningto be done.
Bestest
Mandy  :pig:

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:13:27 pm »
If you send me a message with your email address, I'll send you some info I wrote for the Haynes Pig Manual and Country Smallholding magazine. Good luck x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS