Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I think I have the most spoilt cockerel ever.  (Read 4492 times)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
I think I have the most spoilt cockerel ever.
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:35:06 pm »
I occured to me today, as I was doing my daily ritual with Ichabod the lavender pekin that I am in fact wrapped around his little feathery foot.....
The day starts with me opening up the coop, feeding all the birdies outside then going back into the coop (caravan) to fetch Ichs off of his shelf. He hops onto my hand and is carried outside to 'his' spot, where after I have placed him down he eats and calls over his ladies.
At the other end of the day everyone else puts themselves to bed. Ichabod waits for me to pick him up, put him in the feed bucket and carry him back to the coop. Take him out of the bucket and place him back onto the shelf.
If for any reason I am late he goes and sits in the tool shed and awaits collection there.
I must have SUCKER written on my forehead or something! :chook:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
Re: I think I have the most spoilt cockerel ever.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 01:39:14 pm »
 :D I am not going to let Levi (my old Wyandotte cockerel, who has somehow escaped the pot and is retiring here) read this - he will get even more ideas above his station  :D

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:55 pm »
Colliewoman, that made me laugh so much  ;D ;D  If there are no grapes in the pig's waste fruit and veg boxes for my cockerel Treeve Treherne he gets ugly and goes for me. I have so far resisted going so far as to buy him some specially. I will NOT indulge a cockerel! (yet :-\)

nettelein

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 05:55:42 pm »
 :DThat is great reading all of you. May I say what fantastic names you have all chosen for you feathered friends. With names like that they should be treated with such devotion :D Carry on spoiling them :thumbsup:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:38 pm »
I am Definitely Not letting Rocky Rhodes read any of this!
he has a nice easy life as it is...
Little Blue

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32:07 pm »
 ;D
I think perhaps, this is why I also have Henry, the evil demented spiteful wyandotte cockerel from hell!

I would gladly lift him and return him to his perch and treat him as I do little Ichs. He would first of all have to stop lunging at my face first. I was going to eat him but hubby wants to keep him. Arse. ;D ;D
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

Oneeyedhen

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:55:29 pm »
Brian, our Scots grey cockeral had a go at me and my 4 year old daughter (she did poke him with a stick so not entirely his fault) but since he got out one day and I had to catch him he's been absolutely fine! I'd much prefer to spoil the hard working girls than him tho ;)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:56 pm »
I can assure you with complete confidence that you do not have the most spoilt cockerel ever Colliewoman -because we do.

It didn't start out like that. We wanted a Buff Orpington hen to go with the other colours in the Orchard. We bought two Cream Legbars at the same time. To cut a very sad and long story Bottom as 'she' was known didn't like the Legbars because they used to try and sleep/ snuggle under his very fluffy body. So he was separated and lived on his own in a lttle converted dog kennel in the garden.

At 26 weeks and one day he came out, stood upright and coughed -at least that's what we wanted it to be. Next morning the cough got worse; three of them!

So he replaced the existing grumpy rooster and contracted ILT and IB off two live virus innoculated hybrids we bought, as did all the hens. He was so ill he stayed in the house. At one stage we expected him to die overnight so we took his basket upstairs into the bedroom, but at 4.30am, "cock-a-doodle-do"!

So he recovered and we ordered some show quality hens for him. But he was rather enthusiastic so they stayed on their own in his new bigger coop and he moved into the house at night. We went to Tenby on holiday for a week and he came with us everywhere, creating quite a scene on the beaches and in the town.

He now lives 22 hours a day in the house (with Daffodil the hen) as he has a bad leg and we have to limit his running about. He gets taken down to the Orchard and brought back from the gate where he waits to be collected. He must have a cuddle immediately or he goes crazy so he falls asleep on my Wife's lap with his head under her 'wing' for an hour. Then eats and watches Countryfile and the One Show before going to bed -a large dog cushion. He often taps us on the leg for a cuddle anywhere and falls asleep in our arms immediately (and snores).

In Summer he stands behind the kiddy gate at the open back door, watches the canal boats going past and gets his picture taken hundreds of times. He's on a diet at the moment -too many treats.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:15:42 pm »
hmm ... think you're winning there Chris!!

;D @ a snoring cockerel!
Little Blue

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 07:35:15 pm »
I can assure you with complete confidence that you do not have the most spoilt cockerel ever Colliewoman -because we do.

Fair play, you win.....  ;D ;D :chook:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

deepinthewoods

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 07:36:03 pm »
im taking notes!! :D

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 07:50:03 pm »
im taking notes!! :D

Don't laugh... you're the one on spoilt cockerel duty next year remember :D :D ;)
Henry will be rehabilitated or eaten by then :yum:
It's not water into wine
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:16:23 am »
Jesus, I thought that Ronnie and Reggie my RIR cockerals were spoilt!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:28 pm »
I thought I was mad taking Monty to the vets THREE times 2 years ago and spending nigh on 100€ trying to get him better, plus around 2 months of him living either in the lounge or the conservatory when he was poorly. He so loved watching the footie, the world cup was on at the time. I dont indulge Jethro, he has a good enough life as it is with 9 girls to have his wicked way with. My husband is VERY jealous LOL!!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS