Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep Living Rough !  (Read 3233 times)

HappyHippy

Sheep Living Rough !
« on: March 31, 2009, 07:29:41 pm »
Hi all,
For the last few weeks there's been a flock of 6 black face ewe's roaming the countryside within a couple miles of where I live, living off the land and just generally going wherever they feel like. Having spoken to the farmers in the area no-one has claimed them and no-one knows who they belong to.
They've now wandered onto our land and are seriously eyeing up all the new trees my dad's been planting, so it's time to get rid. I know very little about sheep, other than they're probably in lamb, so I don't really want to go chasing off after them and risk upsetting them to try and get a look at their tags (also given the fact I'm now at the 'heavily' pregnant stage - SO NOT a good idea !)
What should I do ? Local police was my first thought, but I doubt they'd be very effective. The menfolk are plotting & sharpening knifes as I type  ;) lol!
Any suggestions ?

Hardfeather

Re: Sheep Living Rough !
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:35:45 pm »
Listen to the menfolk....... ;)

Blackies are riotous if they're wild and will be hard to get in about, so could be fun to observe the chase.  ;D

If you do manage to lay hold of them, and can identify a tag or earmark, the surrounding farmers may recognise them.

DEFRA may advise you, otherwise.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:56:04 pm »
Video it  ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 11:28:13 am »
I am NOT, repeat NOT  ;) going tearing round the field with wellies and a bump to catch these sheep, even though it would be VERY amusing to watch !
With only 4 weeks to go I'm under strict orders to stay calm & relaxed - I'm even being driven everywhere because everyones soooo paranoid (given past experience I can't say I blame them  ;D)
I'm just hoping they get fed up and look for somewhere else to graze BEFORE they discover how tasty the 600 saplings we've planted (and put guards on) are !  :o

Crofter

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Isle of Lewis
  • We'll get there!
    • Ravenstar
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 10:31:43 pm »
Oh! Blackfaces love trees!  We lost the tops out of 60 or so just to 3 strays that got over the hill fence into the village.  Also, as these were "cast ewes" and not expected to live through the winter, they had their ear tags cut out ???  so no one to blame for it either!

Dave
Comfortable B&B on a working Croft on the Isle of Lewis. www.Ravenstar.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS