Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: kidding/vet questions..  (Read 7537 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: kidding/vet questions..
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 11:50:03 pm »
I didn't do night checks but the goat shed is about twenty feet from out bedroom and I'm a light sleeper.

chickenfeed

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 06:42:28 am »
Chickenfeed was their CCTV set up expensive? Would like that sort of set up but just not sure where to start - our goat shed is about 50m from the house - thanks

the cctv was from alidi £25 then additional leads @ about £20 each so less than £100 this is the second cctv they have had but the first was B&W and had no sound. very easy to set up just plug into tv and direct the camera to the pen or pens and remember to leave a lightor lamp  on during the night. and after the kidding it makes for good tv watching the kids play.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 06:52:13 am »
so far it ties in quite nicely having the orphan lambs because I can check in on Puffin late at night and crack of dawn as I feed them  ;)
'Deep Purse' - love it!!  Oh jinglejoys, you know my vet well! in fact, I think we might use the same practise?   you, Katie and Fay might be getting "aaaaaagh help!" type phonecalls from me  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 01:29:34 pm »
Well we thought we had a use for our old baby monitor - for some bizaare reason it is still around - our girls are 8 and 10 - but goathouse too far away...

I do late night check (and snack for the goat to kid) about 1030pm, and if I am not sure again back out at 1am. For the last fortnight only. Usually I will only go out and walk quietly past the goathouse at night, preferably without torch and if all is quiet, back to bed.

Goats are fairly good with kidding close to their due date, also i check the udder last thing at night, if it is not tight she is unlikely to kid in the next few hours.

Your toggi will kid when you have just nipped inside for the loo after crossing your legs for a least an hour before! My BT when kidding for the first time, slipped out her two kids in between me coming out after maincourse dinner, going back in for dessert and returning... She waited for me to disapear!

My first one due on March 18th, second kidder GG, huge (but not tight) udder already and tailbone ridged up as far as it goes.... I am sooooo hoping for at least one female GG kid!!!

chickenfeed

« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:22 pm »

I do late night check (and snack for the goat to kid) about 1030pm, and if I am not sure again back out at 1am. For the last fortnight only. Usually I will only go out and walk quietly past the goathouse at night, preferably without torch and if all is quiet, back to bed.

no chance of a quiet walk down the yard here (its all gravel) as soon as you are within ear shot the kk's start then the cattle then the pigs and finally the goats and if the lambs are here they join in too so life is much easier to stay put if you can  ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »

My first one due on March 18th, second kidder GG, huge (but not tight) udder already and tailbone ridged up as far as it goes.... I am sooooo hoping for at least one female GG kid!!!

Puffin's udder barely visible although starting to show and she's been scampering about like a young kid today - also due 18th!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS