Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl88dy rabbits!! (also posted on the wildlife forum)  (Read 6786 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Bl88dy rabbits!! (also posted on the wildlife forum)
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:02 am »
We haven't had a great deal of trouble with rabbits up until now but this winter we have planted more hedging and a willow plantation out in the middle field and have moved the polytunnel into the middle field aswell.

As a results we have encroached more on their territory I guess and yesterday I noticed that all my raised bed strawberries have been turned over. There are big holes burrowed into the soil of the raised bed which look rabbit sized. I think they have also been in the polytunnel - digging around in the raised beds.....

we have planted alot of hedging and 100 willow sticks.

Any advice on what we need to do to protect the plants?

We are not very experienced with rabbits.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

Mel

Re: Bl88dy rabbits!! (also posted on the wildlife forum)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:47:36 pm »
I would place tree protectors around them until they are established.I buy mine from my local garden centre and pay £2.00 for a pack ten.,they are long,so they can be cut down to suit.

Hope that helps!

http://www.britishhardwood.co.uk/spiral-guards/210/

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 01:11:53 pm »
rabbits are a nightmare, get a gun and set about them at dawn and dusk. good luck with it but it is an endless road!  :bunny:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Bangbang

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:37:54 pm »
Maybe get a couple of cats, it should reduce there number and deter them from your property. Our cat BeeBee
does a great job, left-overs go to the owl and buzzard.
Foxes also keep the rabbit population down

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:54:27 pm »
Gun planned.... but I have only ever fired a 9mm pistol and an SA80!!!!

..... and never shot anything!  :D :D. We have talked about getting a gun.  We have a couple of shooting schools near here and everybody else has a gun. I was thinking of an air rifle or a single barrel 4-10

Thanks leghorn for the link. I have made enquiries. They are a tenth of the price compared to those in the shop which are selling for £1.95 each!!!!!

That's interesting about he cats. We are planning on getting a cat. In the past I have been reticent but we discussed it recently ..... and now hubby is reticent!!! This is egg him back into begin enthusiastic abut the idea. Maybe once we have built the house!!

Thanks all for your advice. Rabbit stew anyone??

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:55:28 pm »
Gun planned.... but I have only ever fired a 9mm pistol and an SA80!!!!

..... and never shot anything!  :D :D. We have talked about getting a gun.  We have a couple of shooting schools near here and everybody else has a gun. I was thinking of an air rifle or a single barrel 4-10

Thanks leghorn for the link. I have made enquiries. They are a tenth of the price compared to those in the shop which are selling for £1.95 each!!!!!

That's interesting about he cats. We are planning on getting a cat. In the past I have been reticent but we discussed it recently ..... and now hubby is reticent!!! This is egg him back into begin enthusiastic abut the idea. Maybe once we have built the house!!

Thanks all for your advice. Rabbit stew anyone??

keep a ferret in the polytunnel, the rabbits won't go anywhere near a polecat. have a couple on my land and they do a great job eating rabbits. Since the goshawks moved in last year the rabbits have to be very careful!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 05:21:27 pm »
Oooh charimanphil - that sounds interesting. I shall look into that. Do I just let the ferret loose in the polytunnel once I've stopped up all the gaps?

I might get someone in just to get them under control and then work at a solution over the spring/summer. It's really maddening.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 06:47:38 pm »
A couple of whippets and a powerful lamp will keep your freezer full and your field empty of rabbits. Or you could find a person with a gun to help out. Advertise in your local agricultural shop.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:32:43 pm »
Yes - discussed with hubby and we are going ask our builder if he knows anybody who can come over for a bit of lamping etc.

Full of hope now  :D :)

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 09:33:04 pm »
Oooh charimanphil - that sounds interesting. I shall look into that. Do I just let the ferret loose in the polytunnel once I've stopped up all the gaps?

I might get someone in just to get them under control and then work at a solution over the spring/summer. It's really maddening.

they have a very distinct smell. get them young and used to being handled and keep the cage in the tunnel. should have no more visits in the tunnel. we used to just put them down the rabbit holes and listen to the commotion and shot the ones that bolt. if you know where the holes are just net them and say hi with a big stick when ya meet! the ferrets will find their way out eventually.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:14:43 am »
Would that be the same story for rats chirmanphil?

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 09:51:07 am »
Would that be the same story for rats chirmanphil?

nah, rats are a very different animal, you will find them hard to get rid off. but i think the ferrets would help. if there is nothing left out for rats to have an easy meal then they will look elsewhere as my old Dad used to say! which is sound advice! but they are very persistent!

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 10:28:56 am »
We do not have wild bunnies over here!!!great There are a huge number of buzzards and every time new trees are planted they put in a perch for the hawks. It helps keep the field voles down too that seem to munch the roots of new trees. The perches are a 'T' shaped top on a tall pole, or like a veru tall hangmans structure.

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 11:41:15 am »
We do not have wild bunnies over here!!!great There are a huge number of buzzards and every time new trees are planted they put in a perch for the hawks. It helps keep the field voles down too that seem to munch the roots of new trees. The perches are a 'T' shaped top on a tall pole, or like a veru tall hangmans structure.

i have a Larson pine (think thats its name) on my land and the kites have bent it over 90 degrees from sitting on it for years. they preen there and when they were younger the boys used to collect the feathers on the ground. the pair of Goshawks we have across the field take rabbits everyday which is good! always plenty of rabbits for them to take though!  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS