Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Scaling up  (Read 2496 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Scaling up
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:50:53 pm »
Hi all,

Have been brewing in 1gallon demijohns for a few years now and we were thinking of making wine in bigger batches.

Anyone have any advice about equipment. Seen some 5gallon carboys, but some are normal plastic, some PET, some glass and I have no idea what is best.

Also unsure if I need a bigger pot to kick it all off in. Normally I start it in a stock pot and transfer to demijohn once the yeast is going. Could I start in several stock pots and then transfer to a 5 gallon carboy, or does is it better to be one batch from the start. Thanks!

Dans - who has a wedding to brew for!
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
Re: Scaling up
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:23:43 pm »
Good for you! I am a novice brewer, only started this year, but I've done beer, cider and wine in 5-gallon ish batches.

For heating liquid I use a stainless steel burco boiler - these can be picked up quite cheaply on ebay. It has been great and I can easily recommend one. It'll boil 5 gallons from cold in 20 minutes if necessary. People make DIY boilers from plastic buckets with kettle elements in, which are apparently safe...

I then use plastic 5-gall fermenting buckets with lids, all bought 2nd hand, readily available. Light, easy to handle, easy to clean. For longer fermentation I rack into 1-gall demi-johns.

For storage, I recycle glass and PET bottles, and also have some plastic kegs.

I would use whatever I could find, subject to it being:
- the right size
- easy to clean and sterlise
- sealable with an airlock (for fermentation)
- able to hold pressure where necessary (i.e. conditioned drinks)

Some links to some of the stuff I've done, which shows some of the equipment if you are interested:

13 gallons of cider
3.5 gallons blackberry wine, and
three types of all grain beer. Written about one of them here.

also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Scaling up
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:02:53 pm »
My boiler is an old tea-urn I got off e-bay.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS