Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone selling bantam in Central Scotland??  (Read 7868 times)

squeek2211

• Joined Mar 2009
Anyone selling bantam in Central Scotland??
« on: March 25, 2009, 03:21:21 pm »
Any body selling pekins or bantams near me in Central Scotland, would love a couple more to add to my little flock, loving home waiting..........

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: Anyone selling bantam in Central Scotland??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 10:51:26 am »
Will be selling pekins of various colours. Silver laced, black, buff and partridge wyandotte bantam also scots dumpy bantams, may be a few others as all my incubators are full (depends what hatches). But tend to sell at point of lay. So will be later on in the year, we are based in South Ayrshire, don't know if that is too far, but do go to Lanark (used to be every month but not as into Lanark at the moment) and will be going to Stirling at a few points in the year.

Are you wanting just hens or cockerels as well?

sellickbhoy

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Muiravonside, near Linlithgow
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:25 pm »
Just been reading about pekins and i think they are good looking birds that'll be a good starting point for a newby.

says they are good layers and quite broody, so make good mums - but how are they for eating? you get a decent weight out of them? I'm not too fussed about them reaching eating weight quickly, i'm quite happy to give them a decent long life and to just enjoy them - but ultimately!!!

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:32:12 pm »
If you want a good all-rounder that you might get a hlaf-decent meal from , maybe consider a bantam Wyandotte or Old English Game?  They are great broodies too, lay a good egg for a bantam and should give you a small but well-formed carcase at the end of their lives. I don't know anyone who's kept Pekins who has ultimately eaten them as they are very tame (really good with kids) and it's so hard not to get attached to them. Scots Dumpies can also be good broodies depending on the individual and are also in the dual purpose class.

squeek2211

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:46:03 pm »
No Ayr isnt too far, what colours of pekins do you have, just the girls I can take, the neighbours would shoot me if I took a boy altho I would love one if I could. When will your pekins be ready?

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 09:34:05 am »
Im sure there are people that have eaten pekins, but do not know anyone that has, so unfortunately can't comment, same as birdie wife, people tend to get too attached to them.

The bantam wyandotte however I have been told is very good, although I don't eat my wyandottes, we breed for the pot so we get a heavier bird (mainly cross breeds or the odd minorca cockerel). At the moment its a case of wait and see Im afraid, incubating as many eggs as they lay, I have millifleur, black and lavender, there are some others mixed in, was playing around with genetics so really only the lavenders are true. And it also depend what hatches out as prefer to sell the birds with a cockerel, but if I have plenty of girls it isn't a problem.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 09:47:57 am »
allyearroundbirds.co.uk

I was looking at them last night, as we are looking for hens, ducks and geese,
I thought them very expensive.
Pigtails

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 12:14:50 am »
I was looking at them last night, as we are looking for hens, ducks and geese,
I thought them very expensive.

Same here (well, the hens anyway). So, can anyone recommend a supplier of reasonably priced (full size  ;)) POLs in the Central Belt? 
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 10:27:25 am »
Just sourced some Rhode Island Red, from Orkney, available through Allans of Gillock @ approx £5 each
Allans, are on the web.
Pigtails

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:43:45 pm »
Just sourced some Rhode Island Red, from Orkney, available through Allans of Gillock

"All the way to Inverness to pick up a Chicken?!" Kinda puts me in mind of an old advert! ;)

I'm still surprised there aren't more breeders a bit further south  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 10:16:30 am »
I'm sure there wil be! Just a case of knowing where to look  ;)

For example, there was a poultry sale in Stirling on 21st March. For large POL you could try Muirfield Hatchery in Kinross for Black Rocks. Or try the ads at the back of Practical Poultry, Country Smallholding or Smallholders mags.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS