Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: large blacks or british lops  (Read 6808 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
large blacks or british lops
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:21 pm »
Hi all, wondered if anyone had any Large black or British lop weaners for sale in the kent/sussex area? Looking for registered stock. I only want 2 gilts. Many thanks

chickenfeed

Re: large blacks or british lops
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:29 am »
have you looked on the lop society website they have a members list.

LulaB

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 08:01:56 pm »
Hi

I'll have Lops in Mid March.  Both my girls are due then.  Sire is Cornishman line (He was a soppy old thing, amazing temperament) and the mothers are Harmony line (both very friendly and lovely).  We are on the Somerset/Devon border, which is a dead easy drive from Sussex/Kent.

If you've never kept pigs before, I can highly recommend the Lops.  I've had Berkshires, Large Blacks and Lops and i keep coming back to Lops.  They become like Labradors with snouts, so friendly and gentle.  The meat you get from them is second to none.  We raise ours free range in our orchard and I swear the pork smells like apple sponge cake when you cook it!  It makes the best bacon (long back) and I've had people try and mug me for our sausages...   :yum: 

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 10:02:42 am »
Hi, thanks for the reply. What a shame you are so far away. I would love to help the lop out and breed from them, but when you have the fuel costs of a 4 hour drive each way on top, i have to justify the extra cost. Is it ok for the weaners to travel that long? How much are you asking? Many thanks  ???

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 10:07:23 am »
Hi chickenfeed, i believe we have spoken before. Did you sell all your little uns?

princesspiggy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:45 am »
wev drove 4.5hrs with weaners before and they slept ALL the way!

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 09:18:46 am »
wev drove 4.5hrs with weaners before and they slept ALL the way!

Ditto we did two weaners in the back of a transit van Essex to North Yorkshire! Slept all the way..........

Mandy  :pig:

chickenfeed

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 01:28:47 pm »
Hi chickenfeed, i believe we have spoken before. Did you sell all your little uns?

hi all the gilts sold with the exception of the one we have kept back for breeding and showing we will possibly sell one later in the year.

we also have one boar suitable for registration that is running with the fattners atm he has 16 well placed teats but i would only register him if he is going to be sold on, it only gives false breed numbers if i registered him and then took him to slaughter with the others.

we plan on having some july borns.

the latest newsletter we got today does not look good for the lops registered boars were down by 17 with only 48 registered and gilts down by 68 with only 197 being registered.

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:18:46 am »
the latest newsletter we got today does not look good for the lops registered boars were down by 17 with only 48 registered and gilts down by 68 with only 197 being registered.
Not being a Lop society member, I've never seen the breed numbers (unless I've missed them somewhere) but that's really low, definately much lower than any of the BPA breeds I think  :o Only wish I had space for some  :'(
Karen

chickenfeed

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:34:44 am »
Not being a Lop society member, I've never seen the breed numbers (unless I've missed them somewhere) but that's really low, definately much lower than any of the BPA breeds I think  :o Only wish I had space for some  :'(
Karen

the numbers quoted were for the last years registration but numbers are very low the lops are said to be the rarest of the rare breed, shame really as they are wonderful pigs to have around.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:49:45 am »
now i could be courting controversy here    the bpa does not recognise the lops and the lop society are independent of the bpa and have a lower membership charge and registration charge     with them being white the are stigmatised as being commercial pigs as are the welsh and large white
it was rather interesting at yorkshire show last year when the lop won over the bpa pigs and Marcus had to present the trophy        that will be a pint of Murphy's for Marcus
they are fantastic pigs either pure or crossed  and if you are trying to make money with pigs rather than throw money at them  lops are to be considered :farmer:

HappyHippy

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:44 pm »
now i could be courting controversy here    the bpa does not recognise the lops and the lop society are independent of the bpa and have a lower membership charge and registration charge     with them being white the are stigmatised as being commercial pigs as are the welsh and large white
I agree Robert, I think the point about them being mistaken for commercial pigs might be working against them, and the Middle & Large Whites too  :(

Not sure that being seperate from the BPA has that much influence on numbers though - look at the Kune Kune society (okay, so I know Kunes are the laughing stock of the pig world - but who cares  :D) I don't know exact breed numbers or membership totals, but I'd put money on them being higher than the Lops.

I think the key is finding some good 'breed ambasadors', somebody out there who's keeping them, passionate about them and maybe has an interesting way of rearing or niche product - something that's going to attract a bit of publicity  ;)
Lop Long bacon, or a wee photo op with them in shades and sunhats on a sunny day with the caption sizzling bacon in the makin' - catch folks eye, (or belly) then tell them the facts  ;) With all the social networking and on-line forums that's bound to be a good way of boosting awareness. I don't see that the Practical Pigs magazine would be adverse to running articles either, might be worth an approach to someone there too  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »
anybody that has a niche market will not be going telling all and sundry about it  they can still run to fat well to much for butchers and they want them for buttons       now these two ambassadors for the commercial guys that i met at the highland last year if they could see past x941 or what ever number they give there breeding pigs i have not given up on the carcase competition or a taste of with the commercial guys either the seeds have been sown it just needs a bit of time  :farmer:

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »
Hello LulaB, did you have a price in mind, and what is your postcode please? Thankyou for the advice the rest of you  :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 06:42:34 am »
 :wave: if you are in no hurry why not wait for the show season to start there is usually stock for sale from the breeders and lots of chance to see the pigs close up and ask the breeders questions or there is always the annual lop show and sale at melton in september where you can buy some quality pigs some gilts are sold in pig so a great way to start your herd.

remember to join the lop society prior to litters being born to be eligible to register them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS