Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mites  (Read 2723 times)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
mites
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:57:27 am »
ive noticed my 2 new goats have got what look likes mites any ideas on what i can use to rid them of these and will i need to treat the other 2 ,  ::)

kelpy

• Joined Jun 2011
Re: mites
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 10:25:19 am »
hi,
its more likely to be lice,
i use paramectin its an injectable,its a wormer & also treats mange & lice.
it's what i use for mine.
you should treat the others as well especially if they,ve been together.
hope this helps  :)

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:58:53 am »
yes thank you , just meens trying to catch the other 2 as they not that easy to get they not that frendly , no idea how im going to hold them and inject them at same time oh well looks like some fun coming my way  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:29:19 pm »
You can use various pour-ons, all of them come in quite large bottles (but with a couple of years of use-by dates usually), for example Eprinex and Spot-on. For Spot-on I use the sheep dose, and it has worked well, except for the long-coated GG's this winter. If you have a warm day you can also give them a wash/shower with an appropriate shampoo and immediately dry them off, put a rug on and keep inside until they are dry.

For milking goats I normally keep a 7 day-withdrawal period for humans drinking the milk.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »
erm think which every one i go for im going to need to get some to help in as rosey and dim wont let u near enough to get hold of there collars , but as i was getting some in to help get them 2 to remove said collars and replace with loser ones as these where put on when they where younger will debug them at the same time  ::)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 12:06:49 am »
Didn't know you can get spot on for sheep.  Why do you have a seven day withdrawal when it's applied to the skin?  I've used the dog version on my girls and carried on drinking the milk.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 08:04:00 am »
The withdrawal period is because  (a)  it is not licensed for goats... thats not a problem,  & (b)  all the
 'pour-ons' are absorbed into the blood stream and then into the milk via blood.

By the way, everybody.... because practically nothing is licenced for use on goats,  it means Vets can use a much wider range of drugs... if licenced that is the only one that can be used.  I am all for unlicenced drugs because of this restriction.  We don't want to get to a situation where the best drugs cannot be used on our best friends.

grumpsgarden

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:31:23 am »
will it be ok to use any of the treaments on the in kid goat as i dont want to harm them thank you

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 10:49:29 am »
If it can be used on pregnant sheep, then OK......probably better to check with your Vet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS