Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raspberries  (Read 3952 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Raspberries
« on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:10 am »
Last year my raspberries didn't put up any new growth for fruiting this year.  Is this normal?  Will anything grow this year or do I need to start from scratch?

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:06 pm »
I'm watching this with interest as I have never managed to grow rasps yet through one reason or the other, but I have planted some this year.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 06:00:09 pm »
depends which type you have - summer or Autumn fruiting, if summer fruiting you should have cut them down to ground level after they finished - if Autumn cut down in winter. so depending on which one will tell you when they will start to regrow summer anytime now Autumn anytime after April.

hope this helps
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:08 am »
I've got some of each.  Must admit I didn't do any cutting down but there's nothing coming up , just a few buds on the old canes.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 08:44:35 am »
I would cut them down to the bud as they dont fruit on old wood - this year when they have finished fruiting cut those down to the ground.
regards

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:58 am »
As Anderso says there are two types summer and autumn rasps. We have the latter and every Jan/feb we cut them back to about 6-8 inches and they go like stink once the warm weather arrives and we generally have rasps right thro to end Nov (even Dec last year as was so mild). The summer ones as i understand it make fruit on what they sprouted last year and you keep tieing them into supports, but if you say they made no growth last year it may be worth chopping them right back and seeing what happens tying new growth as it appears. You may not get a crop this year but probably the year after if they summer type. I have seen some plants touted as all season rasps but not sure of the crack with these yet.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:
Ps my big problem is keeping the pigs out of them they love sucking rasps straight off the plant and chewing the leaves too! :D

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:26:15 am »
My goats love them too.  I now need to get out there and do what's gotta be done.  Thanks for the advice.

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 09:55:11 am »
don't let the chickens near the raspberries as they seem to wnat to clear the lot (ours go on at the season end to clear the plants of fruit)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS