Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My first ever lamb  (Read 4865 times)

Remy

• Joined Dec 2011
Re: My first ever lamb
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:02 pm »
Aww well done, she is so cute and tiny!  :love: :love:
1 horse, 2 ponies, 4 dogs, 2 Kune Kunes, a variety of sheep

squeasy

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2012, 12:56:10 pm »

Squeasy, did you get your ewes scanned? Could you tell that they were in lamb? Mine have not been scanned and dont look particularly pregnant!! Had a little feel of their tums when we gave them their Heptovac and have been trying to keep a check on their condition when I feed them and they are busy munching in the trough but cant say that they seem to have changed much.They look well and a bit round but when you get your fingers in it seems to be mostly springy Soay fleece!!

Oh, I have got so many questions. Sorry ....much to learn when it comes to sheep.

I knew when I got these three in November that they had been with the tup since September 8th, and that they should all be in lamb.  I can certainly tell they are/were all pregnant by their vastly growing tummies.  In fact if anything the one that lambed first looked the least in lamb, but on the morning before she had her lamb, the tup (who was still running with them) got very keen, so I thought she must be close.  She did not noticeably bag up, but the two remaining sheep are bagged up and you can see its filling up when they lie down.  Attached is a picture of the two expectant mothers and you can see the size of them.  One looks like she is going to burst (I am suspecting twins)-bad image but best one to show her size, the other in trough you can see her bagged up. 

Hope that helps!
Very new to this all.  (very) Smallholder since March 2011 

12 Registered Soay sheep (8 breeding ewes, 2 Rams, 1 wether, 1 retired ewe) 5 Hens, 2 Cats, 1 labrador puppy

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:01 pm »
Cor, okay ........thank you for posting those ...now I know a bit more what to expect.

Our girls look nowhere near that round but their earliest due date to our calculations is 21st March and think the ram didnt really pay them too much attention for another couple of weeks so could be 2-3 weeks after that. Perhaps it is a bit early to see much change yet. Definitely no bagging up ....looked this morning!!!!!

They went into the winter with a fair covering of flesh ........too much grass for just 7 ewes. The sheep farmers around me say that my place is like sheep heaven!!!!! Hope they werent too round to get pregnant!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS