Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The next lambs have arrived...... erm......  (Read 5295 times)

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
The next lambs have arrived...... erm......
« on: February 28, 2012, 12:55:06 pm »
Twins born earlier this morning, thankfully no sign of Schmallenberg.

Born over five hours ago; The larger of the two is quite chirpy, and has had a hop or two, I think I've seen him feed from mum ok (I was a bit far away to see closely).

My concern is for the smaller of the two. I haven't seen it feed (although I know that doesn't mean it hasn't). I've just watched it look for the teat, it found it but didn't latch on, it went off to lie down instead. It is less active than the larger sibling, and bleats for mum even though she is next to her. Ears cold on the tip (but so are the ears of the other). Body warm to touch (about 8 deg out so thankfully not cold weather). It's belly doesn't look as 'rounded' (not that the other particularly is) as the larger one. Is not standing hunched up.

Those of you who read my post in Jan will be aware why I'm 'on guard' and 'looking for the worst'.

I need a bit of reassurance one way or the other. I've got everything in I might need, including a new bag of formula, and glucose, so I could give a bottle if needed.

I'm hoping you shepherds out there will say these are all normal signs. If not, then just give me a bit of guidence as to when and how I should intervene.

Right now, the lamb isn't lying streatched out, but isn't particularly curled up either, it's snuggled itself into the hay in a cosy corner of the field shelter (where they are penned with mum).

Advice please.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: The next lambs have arrived...... erm......
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:12:02 pm »
If it is active and getting up and is older than 5 hours I am sure s/he will have fed and should be ok.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 01:19:50 pm »
Thanks for the reply. Very sadly, the lamb in my post back in January was up and about too, but didn't make it overnight.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:43:54 pm »
If uncertain there is no reason why you could milk a little coostrum off the ewe and tube feed or bottle feed the lamb its first feed to give it the strenth to keep looking for that npple
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 02:02:13 pm »
Thanks. I have some Colostrum from the vet, I gave it earlier today.

I was wondering if I could give it a bottle? Don't want to stop lamb going to mum but a bit of formula might help keep it's strength up to suckle mum?

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 02:06:36 pm »

Hi Ohlala  :wave:
.Well you have given him a boost with the extra colostrum  :thumbsup:

If  it was me ,at this stage, I would encourage the lamb to feed -put him up next to the ewe and nuzzle him under her teats,then gently rub the top of his hindquathers, this will stimulate him into suckling -if he is weak hold his mouth on the teat till he gets the hang of it.I lamb indoors so much easierfor me to handle ewes.
Good luck Tilly

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 02:54:54 pm »
If he has already had some colostrum he may be satisfied with what he has at this stage. and a bt sleepy after the birth.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: The next lambs have arrived......
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »
Just to keep you updated, quite a few hours have gone past now and we are approaching the evening. Haven't seen 2nd lamb feed but it has just done a jaffa orange poo, so my guess is something must have gone in for something to come out.

They both mooch about a bit, then rest next to mom, so hopefully all is well for the evening.

Another ewe now in the adjacent pen, she is huge. Bless.

Wish us well.

:sheep:  :sheep:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:18 pm »
Good luck OhLaLa.   :wave:  You have made sure this wee one has had some colostrum so hopefully all will be well.

There are those on here who feel you should never bottle feed a lamb you want to suckle a ewe, and others, of whom I am one, who see no harm in giving a lamb a top-up if it wants one.  Sometimes it takes a day or two for the mum to come fully into her milk, and she will often allow the stronger lamb to take all it wants, leaving the weaker wanting.  But if it isn't hollow, or hunched, or cold, or clearly depressed, or crying, or fading, and you are sure it has had colostrum, it should be ok.  Fingers crossed.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
Re: The next lambs have arrived......
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 05:08:59 pm »
Haven't seen 2nd lamb feed but it has just done a jaffa orange poo, so my guess is something must have gone in for something to come out.

Definitely! :thumbsup:

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »

There are those on here who feel you should never bottle feed a lamb you want to suckle a ewe, and others, of whom I am one, who see no harm in giving a lamb a top-up if it wants one.  ...

And I am one of those people  ;D

But, to clarify - I wouldn't not give a lamb anything, I would just tube feed it, thats all. I find tubing pretty easy and there is no mess/waste. I would also consider topping up multiples from a bottle but only after they have mothered up.

Having said that, I have never tried it any other way -  the advice to do that came from David Hendersons' 'Lamb Survival' DVD.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:27:15 pm »

There are those on here who feel you should never bottle feed a lamb you want to suckle a ewe, and others, of whom I am one, who see no harm in giving a lamb a top-up if it wants one.  ...

And I am one of those people  ;D

But, to clarify - I wouldn't not give a lamb anything, I would just tube feed it, thats all. I find tubing pretty easy and there is no mess/waste. I would also consider topping up multiples from a bottle but only after they have mothered up.

I am too... tubing is so easy in the first few days, and really I do not like to mess about at 2am....

I also never leave more than two on any ewe, spare triplets go onto the bottle after a couple of days and during the first two days in the mothering pen all of them are toppped up by tube, first with colostrum from mum and also a bit of either frozen or artificial stuff, then with goats milk. After these two/three days I can decide who comes onto the bottle (preferably a male and preferably leaving two even ones on mum), and start bottle feeding. I find lambs go onto the bottle quite a bit slower than goat kids....

OhLala - if you are a bit worried I would hang a lamp over one corner for the lambs and tube them last thing at night. Also if they are sleeping - go an poke them with a stick, if they are full and happy they will do a good stretch on getting up!

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:12 pm »
Yup, me too
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:05:07 am »
Overnight, and all is well.

:farmer:  :sheep:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS