Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ewe aborted  (Read 8344 times)

agri293

• Joined Nov 2010
ewe aborted
« on: February 27, 2012, 07:36:47 pm »
i am gutted this is our first lambing went out to the field as normal to find one of our x ewes with two aborted lambs they are not due for another 3 weeks the only godsend is the mother is fine what could have caused this it is so upsetting

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: ewe aborted
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:27 pm »
So sorry to hear that - I have been having a similarly perplexing time (but without lambing thrown into the mix).  I'm sure you will get lots of help and possible answers.   :bouquet: Fi

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:06 pm »
Sorry to hear about your loss, agri293.

Some abortions do just happen - maybe there was something wrong with the lambs, maybe the ewe had been at some crucial point...  On a farm with hundreds of ewes lambing every year, I am afraid we just have to expect a certain number of unexplained abortions.  When you have very small numbers, it is thankfully a much rarer event - but all the more distressing therefore, when it does happen.

There are a number of specific diseases which can cause abortion; some only earlier on in the pregnancy and some can cause very late term abortions, such as this one of yours.

Were the lambs ok, apart from being premature and dead?  Not deformed or anything? 

If you get any more abortions, it might be worth taking some materials in for analysis.  Generally the vet labs want very fresh placenta - within hours of the abortion - in order to be able to really identify any cause, or lack of cause.  If you did get another, collect some placenta asap and keep it in the fridge - well wrapped ! - while you talk to your vet to see if they would like you to take that material somewhere for an analysis.

But hopefully this is just a one off and the rest of your girls will lamb normally in 3 weeks' time.  Best of luck  :bouquet:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:08 pm »
Sally is correct in that the only way to get a definative answer is to have the aborted lambs and associated membranes tested. It could be any number of things, from a simple mechanical trauma such as a heavy bump form another ewe at the feed trough, through to one of the specific pathogens that cause abortion.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 12:31:57 am »
Its useful to put an aborted ewe in with your replacement ewe lambs so that they get and become immune to whatever caused it to abort - especially if you are on an organic system (as I understand it - medicine use is restricted).

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 10:24:34 am »
possible Schmallenberg virus?

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 07:16:42 pm »
possible Schmallenberg virus?

I think the Schmallenberg virus will get blamed for a lot of problems with sheep, but to my knowledge abortion isn't one of the results of Schmallenberg; lambs are born either dead or deformed, or die in the ewe so she needs assistance to remove the dead lamb. I have not heard of any lambs aborted because of Schmallenberg.

Of course, it's early days yet and more has to be found out about this virus. From what I've heard the ewes are bitten by a midge/mosquito and at whatever stage the ewe is at during her pregnancy is the point of growth from when the deformities appear. Very bad news, and I hope they develop a vaccine soon.

One of my girls aborted during the winter. Very early stages and although we searched the field several times over we couldn't find anything. The ewe showed no sign of any maladie and is thankfully fine.

The loss of any lamb is upsetting and my thoughts are with you.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 11:33:33 pm »
Quote from: Defra Animal Health & Diseases
The virus has been associated with brief mild/moderate disease (milk drop, pyrexia, diarrhoea) in adult cattle and late abortion or birth defects in newborn cattle, sheep and goats.

Sorry to correct you, OhLaLa, but the information on the Defra Animal Health & Diseases website states that late abortion is one of the symptoms of the virus.

The whole page is here:
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/a-z/schmallenberg-virus/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:54 am »
Thanks for the info and the link Sallyntnorth, let's hope they get on top of it soon.

:sheep:

Fizaye

• Joined Feb 2012
  • North west uk
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 10:00:01 am »
Same happened to me 2 weeks ago, but my ewe prolapsed and died!! :( She was about 4 weeks early) Watching the others closely now and I did have one off colour so I kept her in for the night. She is fine now and as they have 10 days left before their due date, I am keeping everything crossed. Good luck  :wave:

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 12:34:46 am »
Thanks SallyintNorth i thought i had read it right!

Rich/Jan

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 08:53:06 am »
Hi we had our first case of Smallenberg early this morning.  Ewe struggling to give birth and when my OH examined her the lamb was twisted round in a 'U' shape with its back presented.  No way would she have delivered it and OH had to break the lambs leg to get it out - it was dead (not nice).  We have about 50 lambs OK so far - with 20 more ewes to go.  Vet arriving today to do the paperwork and then we have to take it to a laboratory for definitive diagnosis.  It does seem that the ewes who conceived later in the year are more at risk but time will tell once investigations are complete.  Lets hope they get a vaccine soon.  Quite a few hundred cases now reported in France and thats the ones farmers have told their vet about.  Jan

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 09:57:16 am »
So sorry to hear your news, Jan.   :bouquet:  Do you have many more left to lamb?

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 10:28:37 am »
Sorry to hear your news it's not nice to see  :bouquet: we found it's very random, some ok and a couple of cases not, all from the same field. seems to be creeping higher up country too on east coast. Our friends who have cattle are very worried due to start calving soon.
Good luck with the others

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:34:45 am »

Hi Jan,
Sorry to hear your news. :bouquet:
-  Well done sorting the problem out - it certainly isn`t pleasent  getting the deformed lambs out, :-\ but when under the knowledge that the ewe would never manage it herself and die, you somehow find the strength to get on with the job and deal with it.
I hope this is an isolated case for you, but can imagine how nervous you will be feeling now about the next ewes  to lamb  .
As I have said in a previous post we have had some deformed lambs on the farm (but only a small batch) and everything since have been good and healthy.
Wishing you good luck Tilly :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS