Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone got a good recipe for rolled, stuffed belly pork?  (Read 5874 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Anyone got a good recipe for rolled, stuffed belly pork?
« on: February 27, 2012, 04:48:49 pm »
On the butchery course I decided to bring my belly home to try a rolled, stuffed, slow- or pot-roast.  We love pot-roast rolled lamb breast cooked on apricots, so I'm looking to achieve the porcine equivalent.

Anyone done a good one can share a recipe or any tips? 

(Posted in Food Processing and Recipes - it's a bit of both!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

anderso

• Joined Jan 2012
  • brokenbrough
Re: Anyone got a good recipe for rolled, stuffed belly pork?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 05:24:09 pm »
if you like black pudding - the belly pork goes brill with it as a stuffing - all i do is chop some onions up finely and mix in the black pudding and place it in the belly and roll up taste very good££££   :yum:
when the revolution comes it will be a co-op

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:09 pm »
Loving all these .... have two joints from this half, and the other half to come yet - so I can try them all!!  :yum: :yum: :yum:

Thanks all - and keep 'em coming, please!
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Olly398

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Herts
    • Brixton's Bounty
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:16:45 pm »
By pot roast I guess you mean to introduce some veggies and/or a little liquid and cook with the lid on? I agree this is an excellent technique for this cut. You could stuff with a base of breadcrumbs and any of the classic porky partners - sage, onion, prunes, ham or bacon, garlic, anchovies,  what have you. Black pudd sounds a winner too.

Personally I can't resist the crispy skin so I almost always end up slow roasting it, flat in a tray but covered, on a very low heat for hours, then turning it up uncovered to do the skin. We like it like this, rested, then sliced thick, and with steamed white rice, fresh greens and a sticky sauce made from soy, sherry, five spice and honey. Yum.

The other thing I love with belly is chucking it in a big pot with garlic, tinned toms, bay leaf, dried/soaked white beans and maybe some chorizo. Cook for hours.

Sorry to go OT but you got me thinking about belly pork! slurp!  :yum:  :wave:
also blogging at...

Brixton's Bounty

deepinthewoods

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:27:40 pm »
marinade it in pineapple juice overnight, then roast it. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 07:59:57 pm »
if you like black pudding - the belly pork goes brill with it as a stuffing - all i do is chop some onions up finely and mix in the black pudding and place it in the belly and roll up taste very good££££   :yum:
Love that idea so much I've asked the butcher to do that with the belly from the other half  :thumbsup:  (My butcher's black pudding is sensational. :yum:)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 08:14:54 pm »
I love it here  :thumbsup:

How I like to cook is I like to see several recipes, then leave them mulling around in my subconscious for a while, and then I just start to cook, and ingredients and techniques appear from the pot in my head... sometimes it's inedible but usually it's good and sometimes it's amazing.  Sadly, I usually can't remember exactly what I did, and even if I could, I would only use that as 'input' to my next dish-creation episode...

Anyways, what bubbled up out of all the suggestions here became Fruity Stuffed Belly Pork and was truly yummy  :yum:

Broadly, I mixed up some fresh breadcrumbs, fresh sausagemeat, apple, prunes, dried apricots, with lemon juice, sage and fresh ground black pepper, smeared that on the inside of the belly, rolled and tied it (*), made a few slits in the skin and sprinkled some salt on it to make it crackle, cooked it open, very hot, for 25 mins, then wrapped it in foil and cooked it moderate for a further 40 minutes then turned it down to Slow and left it for 2 hours, then opened it up and increased the heat for 20 mins to crisp the skin up again, let it rest in a warm place, covered for 30 mins, then carved and served.

Hoooooooeee yeaaaaahhhhh  :yum:

Thanks folks!   :thumbsup:

(*)  I forgot to buy some butchers' string so had to use a woolsack string - seemed to work ok  :D

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:32:59 am »
So long as it wasn't blue string like bridget Jones!!!!! ;D ;D
I'm in the Olly camp with pork belly can't resist the crackling tend to rub the softer underside with marinade and let the top get real cripsy witha good dousing of salt! Yum.
Mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS