Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: we've got it!  (Read 11433 times)

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
Re: we've got it!
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 08:55:06 pm »
To be honest if they are deformed they don't live long, they can't suckle because they are very parrot-mouthed but the two we had last night would never have survived one only lived about 2 minuits.
The less deformed ones you can probably tube and get going. I think a good blow to the head would finish them off
We are a bit worried now because we sold some in-lamb ewes to a couple who are going into sheep for the first time!
I feel so awful about it but we are in contact with them and we have offered to come round and lamb the ewes for them. What a thing for new breeders to see though might put them off for life :o
Had a talk to our vet too and a lot of things add up this year. We didn't have a bad early lambing but we had an odd lambing, some were small singles and made you think there should be a twin, some have been very slow to grow, and some have been one big lamb and one real snotty thing! we were blaming the ram and even talked of moving him on but we can't blame him now cause he was on the field these ewes have come from. We'll run him round next year and see what happens.
We are hoping our ewe lambs (shearlings this year) are going to be ok , they went out to tack in November and also ran these fields so they may have been naturally vaccinated.
Anyway good luck to you all soon to lamb

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 09:35:51 pm »
 So sorry for you. I've been reading up on this and it sounds absolutely horrendous.  :bouquet:
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2012, 12:35:58 am »
Sorry to hear of your woes, Feldar.... :(

I'm due to start lambing Apr 20th and I am really really hoping my ewes got the disease and had developed an immunity before the ram went in on the 1st Dec.

I'm not far at all from you and most of my ewes came from the IOW this year...fingers crossed.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2012, 07:46:45 am »
We are a bit worried now because we sold some in-lamb ewes to a couple who are going into sheep for the first time!
I feel so awful about it but we are in contact with them and we have offered to come round and lamb the ewes for them. What a thing for new breeders to see though might put them off for life :o
I think that is really, really kind. What lovely people you are for offering that level of support  :bouquet:   We are kidding for the first time this year, obviously slightly worried but just keeping everything crossed. Watching this thread with interest as we are surrounded by commercial sheep farmers here  :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 09:08:45 am »
Sorry to hear of your woes, Feldar.... :(

I'm due to start lambing Apr 20th and I am really really hoping my ewes got the disease and had developed an immunity before the ram went in on the 1st Dec.

I'm not far at all from you and most of my ewes came from the IOW this year...fingers crossed.
Good luck to you SteveHants, i am hoping yours were vaccinated too i think the IOW was infected on those high October winds we had here that's when we can trace the start of our worst cases. the other ewes were through their first trimester by then and we didin't get the deformed lambs born.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 09:36:45 am »
when we can trace the start of our worst cases

does this mean you have had more?

On a brighter note I spoke with a breeder colleague close to the belgian border they are half way through lambing ( now) and so far none affected and no abortions but I know of people in Holland who had deformed lambs last year the question is was the virus here last year .
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 11:18:30 am »
Yes, after our vet consultation we worked out that the first lambs we had that died earlier in the week were probably Schmallenberg lambs too. They only lived about 30 seconds but were not deformed but they were hard to lamb, we didn't keep the carcases because we didn't expect it to be this disease. We were a bit cocky thinking we had got away with it this year.
It was only the next two that presented malformed. that's when the s**t hit the fan.
I think we have had it longer than we thought but earlier lambs have not presented malformed,
Actually i'm hoping everything has been bitten then we know we are ok for next year.
The rest of our ewes are due in the next two weeks  i know this is nothing to like a big commercial farm but it will give us an indication of how badly affected we are. Like i said before we were blaming our ram for some unusual sized lambs but we have to be careful it's easy to blame every bad presentation or small lamb on one thing we may have just had some small lambs this year!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2012, 12:27:16 pm »
Really sorry to hear what you have been going through, a terrible experience for all.

feldar

• Joined Apr 2011
  • lymington hampshire
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:00 pm »
Quick update really pleased two more single lambs born in same field both really nice lambs and no problems, up sucking, fully formed very nice lambs, very relieved  shows how random this disease is ;D
If we only get a few cases i will be a happy lady.
Roll on a vaccine to cover us all for next year

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2012, 05:06:04 am »
great news Feldar!!  We are not that far from you either and all are ok here x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS