Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boar suddenly stinks  (Read 1634 times)

Billy Rhomboid

• Joined Sep 2010
Boar suddenly stinks
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:54:25 am »
My boar suddenly has started to stink. And I mean really overpoweringly offensive.

We recently separated him from his ladies as one batch farrowed about ten days ago and the others are due in 2-3 weeks time, and his stench started around the same time as his solitude.

I can only think that in his frustration at being alone he is exuding musk but I have been around pigs a lot and I have hunted wild boar and never encountered an odour like this. I am fairly inured to most of the smells of farming but this is on another level. It is an acrid, sour, slightly ammoniac reek of indescribable vileness. You can smell it from a good 20 yards away.

Any ideas?

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Boar suddenly stinks
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:58 am »
He can obviously smell that one of your girls has farowed and this to him is a sign that shes available for serving again so effectively in season, you'll notice it again in 3wks time. And yes they do hum a bit, have you a companion you can put in with him? This is one of the reasons we try not to farrow sows at the same time so our boar isn't on his own, see if somebody nearby has a sow that wants serving or if someone wants to 'hire' his services to keep him occupied whilst his ladies are otherwise engaged. Not much you can do about the smell other than keep his yard well sluiced down.
HTH
Mandy  :pig:

princesspiggy

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 11:53:31 am »
when we first got our boar he stunk so bad u cud retch, far worse than a billy goat. all calm at moment and smell not noticible (to me anyway) .

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 03:46:56 pm »
He's been using that cheap aftershave my father in law used to use. :wave:
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:48:59 pm »
He's been using that cheap aftershave my father in law used to use. :wave:

yep, I know the one - Eau de le Porcine  ;)
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS