Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: penicillin dosage for a cat  (Read 2528 times)

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
penicillin dosage for a cat
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:08 pm »
what is the penicillin dosage for a cat?  My friend has a tom cat with an absess on his back.

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: penicillin dosage for a cat
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:06:35 pm »
It will need to see a vet for the abscess to be drained and painkillers and antibiotics dispensed. Abscesses are very painfull and antibiotics alone will not do the job. If you dint drain and flush it properly it may come back.

Never give human meds to animals as sometimes the formulations of drugs are different or he carrier ingredient and they may be toxic.
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:47:54 pm »
Thanks funkyfish. 

We are ;in the US. 

No vet for this one.  He is a barn cat.  We love him but we treat him ourselves.  The penicillin is for animals (from tractor supply)  We did shave the site, drain the cut, clean and peroxided.  We were thinking of an injection of the antibiotics and copper sulfide powder. 

Just need the dosage.  I did find a site that suggested 1/2 ml.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:36:44 pm »
At risk of being corrected by one of the forum's more up-to-date biologists  ;) :wave:, I understand that the physiology of the cat is very different to that of other domestic mammals.  Plus, we don't know what brand of penicillin you have, or its strength.  So it would be wrong and dangerous of us to estimate the dosage needed by this cat.  Surely your friend can ask their vet for dosage advice?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

yankieGirl

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Pennsylvania, USA
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:49:49 pm »
ok, thanks.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS