Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyody know what this is ...is it a weed??  (Read 6022 times)

wife@escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
Anyody know what this is ...is it a weed??
« on: February 24, 2012, 03:09:57 pm »
We have this small yellow flower coming up with the snowdrops and crocuses, it closes at night to a tight yellow ball. I've had a look on the internet to see what it is ... any ideas please

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
Re: Anyody know what this is ...is it a weed??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:01 pm »
We have this small yellow flower coming up with the snowdrops and crocuses, it closes at night to a tight yellow ball. I've had a look on the internet to see what it is ... any ideas please

my mum loved them god bless her. don't know what they are called but she always said there were alpines! i have a few left in the garden in places. beautiful little things  ;)
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:31 pm »
i cant remember the name but my mum grows loads of them in her garden, unless its in the way its not a weed!!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57:22 pm »
Winter aconite?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

wife@escapedtothecountry

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:03:57 pm »
I just googled Winter Aconite and yes thats what it is .... member of the Buutercup family and native to Southern Europe but grows well in parts of Britain but all parts of the plants are poisonous, though the very acrid taste makes poisoning a low risk.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
I bought some again last year, and after many years of trying to get some established it looks as though last years batch have taken  Hooray.   :thumbsup:

If you have some you are very fortunate, just don't let them get into grazing or hay meadows
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:54:23 pm »
I bought some again last year, and after many years of trying to get some established it looks as though last years batch have taken  Hooray.   :thumbsup:

If you have some you are very fortunate, just don't let them get into grazing or hay meadows

very good point there!  :thumbsup:
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »
Lucky you
I've been trying to grow some for years

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS