Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: this years tomatoes  (Read 52220 times)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
Re: this years tomatoes
« Reply #120 on: July 15, 2012, 08:22:38 am »
We've got loads of flowers and some are turning to tomatoes but with the gloom, cloud and low light levels this year I'm not sure there's time for any further action  :(
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #121 on: July 20, 2012, 09:06:03 am »
the only ones i have had any joy with are the pomodoro plants i put in. they are 7' tall and i have 100s of fruits! the rest have had a torrid time with the weather!  >:(
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #122 on: July 20, 2012, 09:44:59 am »
I have some little green orbs - well my toms do I mean  ::)  Not sure if they're gonna ripen this year though - maybe lots of chutney making here too  :fc:  but I do so love chutney anyway ...  :eyelashes:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2012, 01:33:47 pm »
let us see where we are after a few days of heat and sunshine. could still be a good summer if the rain stays off now!
1 acre of land where i am clearing trees and a swimming pool so we can make the land productive. MK3 hilux single cab pickup which has been completely rebuilt over the last 2 years matt black and cool as! no animals yet except a very furry black cat called Hansel (he is so hot right now)

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #124 on: July 23, 2012, 07:59:19 am »
I'm also having trouble ripening my Tomatoes. Low light, cooler than it should be, you know the norm for this year :innocent: . So I'm doing a bit of experimenting and have tied bananas to a couple of the trusses to see if it helps ripen them ( I read somewhere it should).The bananas have been in place since last Wednesday with no obvious changes by Friday. Hopefully I will see a change today when I see them ( just hope the change isn't dead because the boss has forgotten to water them :-J ).  Will give a progress report when I get home from work this evening  :fc: .   

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #125 on: July 23, 2012, 08:27:31 am »
going to pick the first "crop" today, suddenly i have loads of ripe ones!

Bert

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Isle of Mull
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2012, 07:47:14 am »
I'm also having trouble ripening my Tomatoes. Low light, cooler than it should be, you know the norm for this year :innocent: . So I'm doing a bit of experimenting and have tied bananas to a couple of the trusses to see if it helps ripen them ( I read somewhere it should).The bananas have been in place since last Wednesday with no obvious changes by Friday. Hopefully I will see a change today when I see them ( just hope the change isn't dead because the boss has forgotten to water them :-J ).  Will give a progress report when I get home from work this evening  :fc: .   

Well that didn't work  ::) .

chairmanphil

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Oxfordshire
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2012, 09:11:51 am »

Well that didn't work  ::) .

try putting them in the sun! mine have been there about 3-4 days and i have red ones everywhere!  :D

deepinthewoods

« Reply #128 on: August 24, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »
hows the tomatos phil??

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #129 on: August 24, 2012, 01:14:35 pm »
I just had my first 2 red ones & they were delish  :yum:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #130 on: August 24, 2012, 06:34:45 pm »
We've had a glut of tomatoes - we harvested about 40lbs before we went on hols (mostly green) and did lots of chutney etc - yummy :o;D

Then when we came back the frames holding up one bay of the toms collapsed (too much weight!) so we had to do another harvest  and got another 40lbs - so we are now overflowing with green tomato chutney/ketchup, tomato and cucumber relish, tomato and bacon soup etc etc etc
  ;D
We still have another bay of toms on the go in the poly!  :excited:

deepinthewoods

« Reply #131 on: August 24, 2012, 06:42:06 pm »
ive done ok too sudanpan, but i didnt want to rub it in to the northeners...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »
I had 6 so far, some more to come!  :yum: fruit that is - not kilos  ;D
Moneymaker only, all the other plants succumbed to blight  :'( :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #133 on: August 31, 2012, 03:39:26 pm »
I just counted mine - 3 straggly plants in the same pot just as I got them from someone -  I have 16 tomatoes - wee ones - and at last some have turned colour - a beautiful dark plum red.  Anyone know what variety it might be?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2012, 03:58:45 pm »
no idea, Annie - but good to see you are back  :wave: - had filed a missing report on you a few weeks back ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS