Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yearlings  (Read 1715 times)

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
Yearlings
« on: February 24, 2012, 08:53:35 am »
I have kept last years girls with their mums, but last night one of them jumped into a pen where I had separated her mum and caught her leg in the hurdle - luckily OK. 

I need to separate them so either I make another big pen next to the mums with high separating gates or I put htem in the field with a comfy pig ark full of straw

which one would be best?

Arabus

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Hampshire
Re: Yearlings
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:48:49 am »
Next to mum. If they can still hear each other, they are likely to get very distressed at being separated (mum included). Please make sure that your very high gates have a top bar, I know of a youngster that tried to jump a gate to get to mum and hung herself on it  :'( so best if the 'gates' go all the way to the roof!
Why are you separating them?

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 10:49:15 pm »
Spent most of the day cleaning out an unused bit of barn, making it leap-proof hopefully and putting loads of lovely straw, bales to jump on and a pallet - are they grateful, no! As soon as I arrive, what a to-do!

They spent all last Autumn together when the billy was with their mums so they are quite used to being apart from the mums.  If they don't settle, I will put them in a sheltered paddock with a nice warm pig ark.

Pregnant does, however, seem happier and calmer, so it was a good thing to do!

Arabus

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Hampshire
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 07:55:31 pm »
Oooh, are they settling yet?
Great that mums are happier now  :thumbsup:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 09:16:19 pm »
I have got one "jumper".  She is clearing at least 6 ft....back in with the does 3 times today!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS