Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Need some lambs!  (Read 5787 times)

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Need some lambs!
« on: February 22, 2012, 09:05:28 am »
Hi guys! Am stuck in bed with the flu- havnt been this ill for years! Can't get out o bed by myself!

So thought good time to organise some lawn mowers. I have a corner of a friends field- separated by elec fencing. It's about 1.25 acres. Desperately need lawn mowers!! - was thinking orphan lambs or just weaned ones, but no idea where to get them! Have kept sheep before and got ours through local paper/ feed store but can't find any at the mo!
Friend and I alternate who does all of our beasts as she works away- hence can stay in bed today!!

Re paper work: she has CPH number guessing I can use it buy get my own herd number?? Voice not upto phoning animal health today!!

We r in East Devon - nr Honiton if anyone knows of any lambies! Not fussed on breed as money a bit tight and ot going to breed form hem this time round so any sex also. Friend is a vet, I'm a vet nurse so have some experience with feet/ worming/ vaccinations etc. Just out of date with paper work!

Hope this post makes sence as high as a kite on meds and using stooopid touch screen phone!!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

robert waddell

Re: Need some lambs!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:10 am »
in a normall year orphans were given away or just a token monetary payment     but with sheep the price they are both cast ewes and lambs are making very good money  orphans are  not usually worth the effort but this year might different  esp cheap ones :farmer:

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:48:46 am »
Orphan lambs making £40 each at Sedgemoor ::) ::)
Funkyfish.....if you need help sorting stuff give me a call :wave:
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 11:11:57 am »
Hi! Thanks guys!! That's about all we can afford for one. Was thinking of 3 -4 to start with. Am happy to pay for them- am glad people can get £ for orphans, time effot and cost have still been put into them, even if mum didn't want them!

May well give u a shout!

Cheers!
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 11:52:18 am »
I will most probably have 3 or 4 crossbreeds that would be available at weaning time so takes away the very expensive bottle feeding regime

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 01:06:41 pm »
Your local lamb- bank might help. Contact your vet or local NFU for details.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:54 pm »
Might be worth trying DASH too; I don't know if they operate a members' lamb bank or similar, but they may well do.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »

:o
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:48:01 pm »

:o

Yep :o that was my reaction too....people around here are beginning to think the time spent putting triplets on to singles may well be better spent with a trip up to the market...ho hum!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 03:52:27 pm »
'Orphan Lambs (44)
A good sized entry of 44 orphan lambs sold to a similar trade and topped at £48 from Chargot Estate for a pure Texel ewe lamb. Generally small, young lambs £10-£20, stronger lambs £25 plus. Overall average £23.07.'

The above text is from Saturdays market report......if you go now FF you may be able to get some cheaper ones!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 04:05:22 pm »
Thanks somy h everyone! As usual good advice and friendly help! Love this site! X

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »
Might be worth trying DASH too; I don't know if they operate a members' lamb bank or similar, but they may well do.

They do indeed! I didn't realise you were in Devon. I've been trying to find details of the lamb bank but, unfortunately a puppy has eaten the relevant page from the update. I'll find out tomorrow and pm you :)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »
If your friend will let you, i would register your plot as a seperate cph, that way if you friend move stock on to her land it won't put you on a standstill and vice versa ;)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 08:22:41 am »
Ahh good thinking colliewoman, might well do that. Will also contact the lamb bank. Quite enjoy bottle feeding etc so am happy with baby orphans, but any age sheep will do really.

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 09:37:03 am »
One of our local radio stations does a lamb bank spot, putting those who need them in touch with those who've got them.  Avoids going through marts etc.,  Maybe you have something similar in your area?
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS