Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An early goodbye....  (Read 18105 times)

rustyme

An early goodbye....
« on: March 28, 2009, 01:02:39 pm »
I was thinking last night about how near I am to spending most or all of my time on my land . I am very near to it really . There are plenty of things that need doing before I leap (well gently slide really ),but the most time consuming part , as with any move , is shifting stuff. I hope to do this gradually to avoid that horrid confusing pile of STUFF dumped anywhere !!! Money is a big player in my decision , as the longer I stay where I am the more expensive living becomes , and therefore the longer it will take me to be able to move ...catch 22 really . So as prices start to increase again , I think there may be a time when I just say sod it and jump !!!, I am not at that stage yet ??? but pretty close. I therefore thought , rather than just dissappear, I had better just say my goodbyes now . I may just wake up and go tomorrow or it could be 18 months down the road , I don't know .
            I have enjoyed being on this forum , listening to what others are doing , and learning from everyone, and when I go it will be one of the things I will miss most, well after my breadmaker anyway !!  ::) ;D I shall be around for a bit longer ( I hope ??) but in case things move faster than planned , I will say goodbye and wish you all the best in you individual endeavours .

cheers

Russ...

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
Re: An early goodbye....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 01:41:57 pm »
Post your location on the map. Come Armageddon, I might need to call round! Best of luck Russ. Anytime you see a free computer, drop by and say hello1

Morgan

rustyme

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 01:46:25 pm »
already on the map mate.....I will be around for a while yet though .... but come armageddon , if you do drop by , watch out for the arrows !!!!!  ::) ;D

cheers

Russ

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »
good luck :)

sandy

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 02:09:50 pm »
Sad to see you go :'( what are you going to be doing? I love chopping and changing, I have loads I would like to do and hope to do, sadly, money plays a big part in any life changes.....Ta taa :bfly:

rustyme

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 03:11:40 pm »
What will I be doing ? ... blimey ....mainly growing all my own veg , if I can't grow it I won't eat it  !! I have also got enough people who will buy veg off me to, so I shall be increasing the veg plot size to half an acre ,maybe  more. I will be growing all my own wheat, barley, oats and rye , all my own fruit ,apples , pears, green gauges/plums, as well as plenty of berries etc. Increasing my bees to get to about 15 hives hopefully. Keeping pigs, sheep,cows ,chickens etc training my horses to work /plough etc. Making my waterwheel and installing it , digging a mill pond ???? growing and cropping the willow beds to supply fire wood, converting it into charcoal for the foundry and the forge ,and making baskets etc. Making all my own carts and wagons for use with the horses (not using modern wheels but making proper wooden ones) , growing sunflowers and rapeseed for oil to run an old lister genny and to power the tractor when used .Growing cotton plants and spinning the cotton as well as wool off the sheep . Then weaving it all on the loom !!  The list goes on , most of it is only time consuming for very short periods , so is easy to fit in , but taken as a whole , they will all fill my time and feed me and give me the way of life I want . I actually hate change , but it isn't that much of a change for me really as I have been doing most of this already for some time , or at least getting everything ready to do it .It is funny how one thing relates to another and intertwines , it will keep me busy anyway ...

cheers

Russ

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 03:35:13 pm »
Please do stay in touch (local library??), your experience and comments will be sadly missed! :&>

rustyme

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 03:48:39 pm »
a neighbour may well have wireless broad band, so I may be able to piggy back his connection now and then , in exchange for some eggs or veg...?? However once there I think that will be way down the list of things to do for some time !!!! The library is 7 miles away , to far for me to walk these days ...lol. In summer months I may go over to my nephews to tend either veg or grain I may grow there ( haven't asked him yet , but he will let me ) so I could use his pc then , I am also going to keep my mobile phone and the new upgrade I looked at the other day also has proper internet on it ...handy ...trouble is there is no signal down on the land...lol... so it would mean a walk up over a few fields. Ok in summer ... but I can guarantee I won't be doing it in winter :o :D

cheers

Russ

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 03:54:09 pm »
Sod the bow and arrows...a mans best firends are Arthur Guinness, and Mr Smith and Mr wesson! Lol

rustyme

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 04:03:57 pm »
Arthur Guinness ? he who 'invented' the drink?  I don't drink   ::) ;D I know boring old sod....as for Smith+Wesson , well I can't make them or the bullits to shoot ...but I can make my own bows and arrows !!!!! and I can hit a 4" round at over 120 yards....(sometimes!!!) I just have to live in hope that the anarchists with the guns, run out of ammo before they find MEEEEE he he he ....

cheers

Russ

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:35 pm »
Friend Russ,
    I'll miss your advice,ever cheerful disposition and humour. I wish all the luck in the world on your new venture and look forward to seeing the odd post from you in the future.Be safe and look after yourself..... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

rustyme

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 04:52:21 pm »
cheers Ree,
            cheerful disposition and humour ??????  (the end is nigh , armageddon , social collapse , EU dictatorship ,big brother, bird flu pandemic ) errrr well yes ... if you don't laugh  you would only cry  !!!!  ::) ;D..
 I will be about for a bit yet though mate ....I have made a few canoes , one canadian and one sea type kayack plus a few others along with a few small row boats and a coracle or two !! I still have an urge to make a narrow boat out of wood......good luck to you too mate ...

cheers

Russ 

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 07:41:00 pm »
Blimey - what a shock  :o :o  but WOW, good for you - go for it...................but PLEEEEEEZE try and mosey over to a P.C. every so often an give us an update, won't you?    

Very best wishes........although you ain't gone yet.......and think of me STILL trying to work out what to do with my Willow  ::)

:farmer:  Cheers
Mandy..........................STILL lambing............ :sheep:
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

carole h

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 08:08:58 pm »
Exciting stuff Russ! Good luck in whatever you do. It would be great to hear how it's going from time to time - I thought I was brave giving up my teaching job to become more self-sufficient this year! Well done you!
Carole

sandy

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 08:16:38 pm »
Maye a documentary can be made of your self sufficiency, the money you get from that will pay for a few sessions on the internet, another idea is you could have pigeons, put notes on their legs and send them to someone with Internet to write up on this site, there, sorted.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS