Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Field Rental Query  (Read 4146 times)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Field Rental Query
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:46:43 pm »
Can anyone give me an idea what is an appropriate field rent for sheep?  Up to now I have been lucky to find people who want their field grazed and are happy to have my small flock there for which I try and give a small quantity of lamb in return.

I now have a 5 acre field which I would like to rent officially and also be able to use for my ponies.  I don't want to offend the owner but also don't want to pay over the odds by paying per pony.

Any advice appreciated.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
Re: Field Rental Query
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:07:41 pm »
I used to rent 8.5 acres for a tenner a week, but I have no idea if that was a good deal or not.
Now I pay 50 a month for my little patch of just over an acre, but I can do as I wish with it. It has the river running through it and no public right of way over it. even if I didnt have stock I'd keep it as I love the solitude and the wildlife. my landlord is amazing and I have it for as long as I wish :thumbsup:
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:42 pm »
Going rate here is £100 per acre per year
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:12:48 pm »
£100 per acre per year sounds about right for a small (1-5 acres) field/paddock. It gets cheaper as you rent more, an eighty acre field near us rented for nearer £30 per acre per year.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:16 am »
20p/ewe/week. Thats decent money - you could pay more for grazing turnips, say - can be up to 60p....works out at about £10/ewe/yr.

I wouldn't pay rent on 4 acres, not worth it, thats 'I'll bung you some lamb and fix the odd fence' territory.

Edited to add: thats sheep, of course...ponies probably considerably more cos one is a leisure thing and one is a business thing. Also, ponies tend to poach the ground - so Id ffer to re-seed and take them off a few months a year.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:50:04 am by SteveHants »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:17 am »
I used to rent 8.5 acres for a tenner a week, but I have no idea if that was a good deal or not.
Now I pay 50 a month for my little patch of just over an acre, but I can do as I wish with it. It has the river running through it and no public right of way over it. even if I didnt have stock I'd keep it as I love the solitude and the wildlife. my landlord is amazing and I have it for as long as I wish :thumbsup:
You're paying 4 to 5 times what we do for small areas of grazing - but ours are commercial agricultural rates; I would expect to pay more for a one-off / smallholder let.

If I was renting land out, I would definitely want more for use by ponies and would also make some stipulation about how the land is to be cared for.  (Poo-picking, harrowing, rest periods, not letting it get too poached, etc.)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:47 pm »
Thanks guys that is interesting and more reasonable than I expected.  I would mainly want it for my sheep and maybe the opportunity to cut hay if it turned out decent.  The ponies would only go on there for 2-3 months of the year to rest my own paddocks.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
If you want to cut it for hay, its harder to sell it that you are doing them a favour. My first grazing was 8 odd acres, split so they cut hay on 2/3 of it in summer and I grazed the aftermaths in winter. I didn't pay anything for that and I got 14 ewes on year round.

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 04:07:09 am »
We have sole use of 4 acres and pay £1200 a year!  Horse grazing is much more expensive as they cause more damage.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS