Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hatching eggs  (Read 3548 times)

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
hatching eggs
« on: March 28, 2009, 09:31:25 am »
Hi can anyone help?
we have eggs in the incubator at the moment one hatched yesterday morning one last night and one this morning . some started hatching yesterday morning but have gone no further. is it possible they will still hatch or have they died. I am still a bit new to this our last lot hatched all in 12 hrs.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 09:42:00 am »
Hi, I have just hatched 12 eggs a few days ago and they really hatched over a 3 day period. I did help the last 2 as they were taking too long I felt. I think as long as you can see/hear movement inside the remaining shells you should be ok, however, I have no problem with helping them along. I know many people tell you not to do this but it didn't cause any of mine any harm. All 12 are doing great. Good luck, let us know.

James

exmoorlady

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Brendon Hills
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »
Hi
Sadly no moe of our eggs hatched we checked them all and there was no noise. Alec opened them and all the chicks had died. They were mainly lavender pekins we only had 1 from 8 eggs and 2 welsomers from 3. I dont know whether we didn't have the humidity right or whether we should have taken action earlier and helped them along. Anyway we have cleaned out the incubator and re loaded so we will see what this batch brings.

sharon :chook:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 09:28:44 pm »
Thats a shame, just keep on trying and better luck next time.

James

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »
As a matter of interest, are these all for yourselves or do you sell most of them on, or are they for eating?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2009, 11:26:00 pm »
Hi, I set the humidity at 40 degrees until they are due to hatch then at 70 degrees when they are about to hatch, that seems to do the trick every time. You can buy a humidity meter for about £4 is you don't already have one.

I had this problem once and it was due to thunder and lightning.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS