Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pigs ears  (Read 4286 times)

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
pigs ears
« on: March 28, 2009, 08:47:59 am »
I have just aquired 2 oxford sandy and black weaners, this is my first venture into pig keeping and obviously I have a lot to learn. I have had the piglets for two weeks now and the ends of the ears of one of them have started to turn backwards, the ears are healthy apart from this and I wondered if anyone had any idea why this should happen. It looks as if he has been sleeping on them and bent them and they just haven't gone back.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: pigs ears
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 03:57:18 pm »
Very long shot - look inside the ears have they got black spots inside?

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 04:45:48 pm »
What do the black spots mean?

Morgan

sausagesandcash

• Joined Jan 2009
  • UK
    • IrishHandcraft
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 04:46:44 pm »
Oh, and are we talikng black blotches or little black spots?

Morgan

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 05:29:07 pm »
Difficult to describe, basically its the flea things that abound on pigs.  They can cause the ears to flop or possibly turn backwards.  Was just a thought.  If it is easily cured with an anti flea spray.  Then again thats probably not the cause.

BillyBerridge

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 06:20:36 pm »
Do the ears look dry, red or feel warm? Could be a touch of sun burn given this weeks weather, if you have weaners this will have been the most sun they have seen thus far. When they get burnt it dries the skin leaving it tight hence why they bend the wrong way. A touch of udder cream or sun lotion should remedy it quite quickly.
BB

kp

• Joined Mar 2009
  • near whitby noth yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 10:00:42 pm »
thanks for all that, his ears didnt seem to have any sign of fleas and now after about 5 days they have flopped back over. Perhaps it was the sun. I feel like a new mother worrying about every little thing. Also over the weekend I've had lots of visits from friends, not coming to see me but bringing their kids to see the piglets, their quite an attraction.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 06:40:48 am »
Yes thats how it goes, then when they are pork chops you ge the same visitors coming for a meal.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS