Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What grants/subsidies available for sheep keeping?!?  (Read 5753 times)

PinkDelilah

• Joined Feb 2012
What grants/subsidies available for sheep keeping?!?
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:04:40 pm »
Our small farm is rented out to a neighbouring farmer for sheep grazing.
We have a few animals of our own, including a couple of pet sheep, and lately we have been giving more thought to getting our own sheep to keep the farmland under control.
I am trying to look at the situation practically and work out the finances rather than emotionally (which I am often inclined to do!) and rushing out there to get my first full flock!!
Obviously we get a small fee for renting the farm out at the moment and I am trying to find out if there are any grants/subsidies etc available to people for keeping sheep which would go some way towards compensating for the lack of rent money?!?
If someone could even just steer me in the right direction of where to find out some more information, I would be very grateful.
I should also mention that we live in Scotland as I am sure this will influence what may be available to us.

robert waddell

Re: What grants/subsidies available for sheep keeping?!?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 09:07:34 pm »
how many acres is the farm :farmer:

PinkDelilah

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:11:14 pm »
About 300 acres.  :)

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:15:11 pm »
the farmer that rents the ground is he claiming single farm payment on it  how long have you owned the farm and how long has the farmer rented it :farmer:

PinkDelilah

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:21:07 pm »
Yes, I am sure he will be.
The farm has been in my husbands family for years and this farmer has been grazing here for about 11 or 12 years now.

robert waddell

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:31:27 pm »
so there is no entitlement to subsidy that you know of   they maybe sold the entitlement  or are claiming it as the slipper farmers     you would need to buy entitlement  and they are being phased out anyway
what area are you in :farmer:

PinkDelilah

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:00:58 am »
we are on the west coast of scotland

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:09:03 am »
dept of agriculture at oban tel 0300 244 9340  they should answer all queries unless it is portree/stornoway or benbecula :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS