Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: helping chicks out of eggs  (Read 4446 times)

harry

• Joined Mar 2009
helping chicks out of eggs
« on: March 27, 2009, 04:50:00 pm »
has anyone had good regular results in helping chicks that are a long while hatching out of eggs,   ive done sevaral but they all seem to end up as poor quality or end up dead..... i keeep saying i wont do any more but cant resist..... its got to be natures way of culling ...harry

Cluckinggoodpoultry

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: helping chicks out of eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:57:00 pm »
We have done it quite a few times with good success, the odd one dies. You have to be so careful doing it though and make sure you don't damage the cord etc. Have some strong healthy birds here that I have helped out of their shells.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 05:01:38 pm »
I had 12 duck eggs hatch yesterday and the day before and for the last 2 I had to interven. Quite honestly If I hadn't I think they would have died. I think they had made a good enough hole but then stopped and therefore they seemed to dry out and when I helped them their feathers were stuck solid to bits of shell and "yuck". Both are now doing great though.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 10:30:48 am »
Have never heard of anyone doing such a thing as helping a chicken out of it's shell,
that I would think is interfering with nature and could be the reason the chicks die, from contamination maybe.
Pigtails

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 11:08:49 am »
Have never heard of anyone doing such a thing as helping a chicken out of it's shell,
that I would think is interfering with nature and could be the reason the chicks die, from contamination maybe.

If interfering with nature saves an animals life then bring it on... Dr's and nurses do it every day to make us live longer/easier etc so this can only be a good thing.

Pigtails

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Scotland
    • 29brawl
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 04:51:05 pm »
I suppose so, just never heard of anyone doing it, until now, that is. :)
Pigtails

lindy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 02:46:24 pm »
I have helped chicks out of their shells a few times and they have always survived.
A few points, always make sure you thoroughly wash your hands first, make sure chick is kept warm while you are doing it, I use some warm water and cotton wool to moisten the shell then very slowly and carefully ease it away. Sorry if I am stating the obvious.
If this is happening though something is not right I expect the incubator is not humid enough. You could try adding more water next time.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS