Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WOW! £126,000  (Read 3919 times)

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
WOW! £126,000
« on: February 18, 2012, 06:54:57 pm »
This was paid for a Limousin bull at Carlisle market today. :o How gutted would you be if you went into the shed next day and was lying there, four hooves pointing to the sky.
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

robert waddell

Re: WOW! £126,000
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:36:13 pm »
you would not give a rats arse       they are insured from the fall of the hammer :farmer:

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:39:24 pm »
thought you'd won the lottery or something!
Little Blue

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:33:42 pm »
I have  3 race Limousin  bulls in fields next to my plot.  Not mine sadly.
The heifers are always pregnant and bulls and calves are often together. Meat is sold as pink veal. That is about a year old and animals who live outside and graze ( except in the snow). Last month 3 animals were collected and taken to Italy.
They are fantastic beasts and our town was full of them one day last year - each being hosed down in the heat made their coats look wonderful. There must have been a million pounds worth in our market square!!!  ;D

martin - La Creuse, limousin
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

princesspiggy

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:36:12 pm »
you would not give a rats arse       they are insured from the fall of the hammer :farmer:

our insurance is only death by lightening, straying or transportation....
we were gona insure our stallion "fully comp" but couldnt find a horse policy that accepted barbed wire fencing and wev miles of the stuff!

Brijjy

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Mid Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:27:59 pm »
I think I'd still be peed off, insured or not. I't be like buying a Ferrari and having it break down on the way back from the garage. Not that I'm ever likely to buy a Ferrari or a Limmy bull!
Silly Spangled Appenzellers, Dutch bantams, Lavender Araucanas, a turkey called Alistair, Muscovy ducks and Jimmy the Fell pony. No pig left in the freezer, we ate him all!

NormandyMary

• Joined Apr 2011
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:50 pm »
This was paid for a Limousin bull at Carlisle market today. :o How gutted would you be if you went into the shed next day and was lying there, four hooves pointing to the sky.
Or if he turned out to be GAY!!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:48:09 am »
Or if he turned out to be GAY!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Wonderful NM.

It's a ridiculous amount.  You could buy a house for that price.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 01:25:35 am »
I imagine you could buy a few houses with his 'services'?

Wouldnt matter if he was gay as I'd pull him off into a 'test tube' myself for that money and I wouldnt mind telling my mates I was smiling while I did it. I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Hell though - its gota be a hell of a risk owning an animal that costs that - I'd be sleeping in the rafters of the shed!

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 11:49:08 am »
serious question - how do u think they are going to get their return on that money. enormous amount of AI? or massive price in bull sales? how much is top class semen with AI?
i know a syndicate paid an enormous amount for a ram up here so he was really well used, whether it was natural or ai - i dont know, but it was in the paper when he died and he wasnt that old.

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:19:06 pm »
it is the breading quality   a lot of the high priced ones never work due to being to soft
it is an eternal hope that quality breeds better quality some time it works but the most of the time it does not :farmer:

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:14 pm »
Limousin bulls.
As far as I can see the bulls here are left to do their stuff in the fields. They are moved past my kitchen door that opens onto the road - I even move plant pots when the string to guide them is tied up across the road and others gardens. Females with and without calves are moved in with the bull and those who want to mate make the fuss of the bull. They get fed salt bags and hay in winter otherwise just grass. All pretty natural and I guess that is why Limousin pink veal and beef is sold with their "race" , heard number and even the name of the farmer. Too expensive for me ! There is a good living to be made and the bulls thus change hands for a lot of dosh.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

robert waddell

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 01:16:43 pm »
ah two entirely different methods    in France it is more natural there time there      in Britain they are more or less forced on for impressive growth figures and the breeding :farmer:

princesspiggy

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 01:43:13 pm »
a longer growing season in france would help tho

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 03:49:46 pm »
Yes I guess a longer growing season. we had it mild up to December and I'm pretty sure that they collected cut grass in early November.
That said the Eastern Limousin is very cold in winter with lots of snow. The cattle have only just left their raft of straw and central "hay tree" and are having a look at the grass now. The entire area will be yellow with dandelions in the spring and you can see exactly the areas grazed by cattle ( up to the wire).No wonder their meat is prized in Paris.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS