Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: when to shear??  (Read 2614 times)

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
when to shear??
« on: February 16, 2012, 04:10:21 pm »
Hi everyone,
asking for a bit more advice please. . . . .
We have 12 shetlands which were last years lambs and thinking about shearing. I have read that they loose their fleece and also that some people prefer to shear. just wondering if they loose it about when will this happen, we live in Herefordshire. what do other people do??
thanks and would just like to add what a brilliant forum this is for a me as a newbie.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: when to shear??
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 05:07:49 pm »
you will know when its ready for rooing  as the wool will fall off the sheep so when they want to shed that happens just start rooing and any tough bits to pull off leave for another day.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 06:19:11 pm »
We have found that not all shetlands are ready to shear at the same time, and often the front is ready before the back  ;D  So here in the south of scotland some are ready in May, most in June, and a few not until late June, at least the bloomers bit.  You will see when they are ready to shear by opening the fleece - you will see 'the rise' - a layer of what appears to be thinner fleece (the boundary between last years fleece and this years new growth), which is ideal to shear through.  Once this layer is about 1/4 - 1/2 " above the skin you can hand shear.  They will roo when the rise is slightly higher - a warm day is best as the lanolin is nice and soft then.  If the britches are not ready, leave those bits for another couple of weeks (they look a bit ridiculous :sheep:).  In first shear animals, the rise is sometimes less clearly defined.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 06:21:15 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

humphreymctush

• Joined Jul 2010
  • orkney
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:38:36 am »
I just get all my shetlands done in June. If some have already lost a bit then they just get tidyed up

Sunnybank

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Leominster, Herefordshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:16 am »
Thanks everyone for your advice x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS