Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rhubarb champagne (and how to stop it exploding)  (Read 3305 times)

aliceinwonderland

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Victoria, Australia
  • one day, i will live in my very own wonderland
Rhubarb champagne (and how to stop it exploding)
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »
Hello again,
A quick question, this time about rhubarb - I've just harvested about 4kg of rhubarb (that's 4kg after the leaves have been chopped off...), and so am planning to make some rhubarb champagne to my grandma's old recipe, but I have some rather messy memories of exploding bottles... We used to make rhubarb champagne a lot when I was a kid, but would occasionally have a particularly hot summer and the laundry would be coated in sticky sweet fizzy pink stuff and a few bits of shattered glass.

Does anyone have any suggestions, other than keeping all the bottles in the fridge or drinking it all very quickly, for how to stop the bottles exploding after a certain amount of time?

I'll be using swing-top glass bottles, and will be keeping them in as cool a place as I have, but if we have a hot day (and summer is definitely not over yet) then I may be mopping rhubarb champagne off the floor, walls and ceiling just like I did when I was little... I was thinking, maybe, could I pop the 'cork' every now and then to release the gas, or will this make the champagne go off?

Thanks for any ideas!
Alice
planning to have: beef cattle, a house cow (or two), maybe some goats, definitely some hens and ducks, a lovely farm with rolling hills and a stream running through the back paddock, and a cottage covered with climbing roses and an old wood-fired stove.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Rhubarb champagne (and how to stop it exploding)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 01:06:12 pm »

I've made this a couple of times now, but always in a demijohn with a bubbler. Once the bubbling nearly stops, then I transfer to plastic lemonade bottles (i.e. no shards if any go bang). Once a decent pressure has built up, you can put them in the fridge to stop further gas generation.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS