Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Spinning..now what?  (Read 8352 times)

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
Spinning..now what?
« on: February 14, 2012, 11:36:00 am »
Well I seem to have "mastered" the basic idea.  The two ply comes out quite thick. (at least as thick as bought in chunky/arran) I dont know whether to try and get it finer to use it for sock making or to do something with it this thick as it seems fairly consistent at the moment...I thought I might make a throw/blanket with different squares sewn tog. No one wants a pure wool jumper!!!

What do you do wiyh your home spun?

Should I work in getting it finer in the first spin? Or keep working on cocistency?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Spinning..now what?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:53:04 am »
"No one wants a pure wool jumper"

Well, that's what I wear and my OH.  Not much good for children as frequent washing is a drag, but for adults pure wool is wonderful.  It needs washing far less frequently than synthetics and once you've washed a few you get the knack and it's not much more work than washing anything else by hand.

Your wool blanket idea sounds great  :)

You will gradually get the hang of producing finer yarn.  I find that poorly prepared fleece spins thicker than really well prepared fleece, which drafts so much more easily - so an extra go through the carder can help.

When I was first learning, I tended to try to spin too quickly which resulted in thicker yarn. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 12:11:46 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:15 pm »
Once you can spin a fine even yarn its the devils own job to spin the thick interesting stuff!
What about some hats with the thick yarn, lovely and warm, maybe combine with a ribbon yarn for colour?
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 05:42:39 pm »
That's what everyone said to me, once you can spin finely you'll want to do this thick, textured stuff and won't be able to  :D

I used my early, lumpy handspun to make a very good hat - I have some left over, so I can have another one when it wears out, I work in it and it's very warm  :) And it knitted up surprisingly evenly.  The other thing someone suggested was to save the early stuff and then when I could spin more finely, use the early stuff to create textured stripes in a jumper - sounds pretty smart to me  :)

Right now I'm spinning some merino and silk, finely, with the intention of making a jumper from it  :)

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 07:44:27 pm »
You could knit it into a pure wool jumper and post it to me if you like :D :D
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:47 pm »
Hi Mel,
How bizarre! I've been looking at starting spinning myself and just thought I'd ask the forum if anyone knew about spinning and here you are!
Do you have any advice to impart? Have you brought your wheel or rented? Where have you managed to source one from? What type of fleece do you use, how easy have you found it and how long has it taken you to get the hang of it?
I hope you don't mind me bombarding you with all these questions  ;) I'd love to hear about your experiences (and anyone else's) I'm really keen to find out more  :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »
Well, my first big spinning project (before I had my own sheep) was moorit shetland tops, and I knitted a jumper from it (in the summer of 2006) - I have worn it most days since then (not for farm work i have to add), it is fairly thick and I have NEVER washed it yet!!! Now starting to get a worn out (and has been repaired several times altready... It is really warm, I do not own a winter coat (or any coat other than water proofs) anymore, so real wool jumpers are brilliant!!!

Anyway re lumpy yarn - as the others say, keep it for special effects once your spinning is quite even and often very thin... although I find some fleeces are just for spinning thicker yarn and others not.... not sure how to explain it. You can always use several strands of wool if quite thin, should make a warmer jumper in the end.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 01:00:17 am »
You could knit it into a pure wool jumper and post it to me if you like :D :D

You got there before me.   ;D  I would even pay the postage.

Maesgwyn

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:32:22 am »
 Smalltime smallholder there are many spinning groups out there, you need to do a search through the WSD guild for your nearest guild and also you can often rent (for a nominal cost) a wheel and stuff. It really depends on where you are as to who can help you. i belong to the Ceridigion guild and also spin at the Welsh woolen museum, we have new spinners at both groups.
Do pm me if you want further help
Julia

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:51:06 pm »
I'd second going to your local spinning meeting. I had been trying to teach myself and was at the 'struggling, lumpy wool' stage. An experienced spinner came and sat by me, adjusted my wheel, showed me to do something different with my hands, and like magic I could spin  ;D Plus you get a good morning's natter  :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 04:27:40 pm »
I'd second going to your local spinning meeting. I had been trying to teach myself and was at the 'struggling, lumpy wool' stage. An experienced spinner came and sat by me, adjusted my wheel, showed me to do something different with my hands, and like magic I could spin  ;D Plus you get a good morning's natter  :D
Mind, it's contagious and will spread to all your friends  ;) :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 04:58:09 pm »
 ;D

Mel Rice

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »
Hi all thanks for the support so far.....A local group would be great but my german is not up to it there is even a local museum/workshop that does day and w/e courses but again I think I might strugle (but Im trying to pluck up courage!)

I got my first wheel on E-bay Its got a very small wheel, looks nice but before I got round to realy trying it my OH came back from a trip to the UK with another one from an allsorts auction. Its a Kromski wheel (mazurka model) It only arrived as it was so no spare bobbins or whorls so I'm still trying to source them locally (otherwise I have to get things posted o the kids and they post them on.

I'm very proud of my first item of home grown knitting (my sheep, my shearing, my spinning and my knitting)

I think I will have to work on the carding and/or be a little more picky about the odd bits of fibre...after all I have PLENTY!

I only use carding batts. Would I be better with a drum carder?   (also I found this bit a little boring and I was desperate to start spinning) Now Ive decided that I can card and watch telly (evening activity) whereas spinning has to be done at another time as I need to watch the thread too much...and its too noisey!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 09:19:08 pm »
Since spinning is very visual and tactile, it would actually be quite a good way to make contact with people - you'll be surprised how much you can make friends over a common interest and the odd word in each other's language  :-*

SmallTimeSmallholder

• Joined Dec 2011
  • South East
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I have managed to find a local craft group that do spinning and have just made first contact  :D I can't wait to get started!
My turn for advice maybe, Mel, I used to live in Germany. I think you should go for it re your local group. No one will judge you on your German language skills and I'm sure you'll find them a really friendly bunch!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS