Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambs + fox - help!  (Read 10885 times)

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
Lambs + fox - help!
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:16:58 am »
Over the last 2 weeks we have suffered fox attacks and over 20 of our chickens have been taken - it only left 3 bodies, the garden is a mass of feathers.  They have been taken at all times of the day and right from the back door.  Our neighbour has recently shot several foxes but we think it is a large dog fox returning to our house from another direction.
The question is - how old will my lambs have to be to withstand an attack?  I can put them in a barn behind hurdles but that is some way from the house, and  a fox could easily get in there.  In previous years my Shetlands have become anxious when I housed them post lambing.  Usually they lamb outside and I bring the lambs in for a couple of nights at most.  I know any twins will be most at risk.  All advice gratefully received.

Victorian Farmer

Re: Lambs + fox - help!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 10:44:17 am »
I would get some boys from the gun club and sort them i payd 6 pound a fox they got 6 bso very happey.

colliewoman

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Pilton
  • Caution! May spontaneously talk rabbits!
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 10:47:05 am »
Are they orphan lambs or with mum?
If you have sheltand ewes and no way the lambs can become seperated from them (ie stuck the wrong side of the fenec) I personally wouldn't worry too much. My last shetland girls would have battered a fox that was going for the lambs, they certainly put a sheep chasing dog in the vets for a few days ;)
I did tell the owner to keep the dog on the lead, but they didn't. Then i got shouted at cos his dog got injured even though it was me fished it out of the river for him ::) ::)
We'll turn the dust to soil,
Turn the rust of hate back into passion.
It's not water into wine
But it's here, and it's happening.
Massive,
but passive.

Bring the peace back

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 11:42:49 am »
can't help with ages I know foxes have taken lambs but in any event I would put a ram in there for protection.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 02:10:31 pm »
what area you in maybe someone got a gun round your way best way to stop worrying about foxes is to take them out set a trap and shoot them

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »
Know who your local 'keeper is? If he can't help, I'm sure he will know someone who can. I keep some BBs  handy for foxes, but you have to be pretty close, better to have someone with a rifle.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »
Thanks everyone.  We have had blokes come round at night to shoot them (no joy, but some funny stories) and the farmer next door has shot 6 in the last couple of weeks - but other people have seen this large dog fox during the day - and it is that one who we think has come right up to the house at 1000 in the morning.  I'd shoot the thing myself but don't have a licence (or gun).
My first ewes to lamb will be GFD's - lovely but very dopey and slow, and 3 are first-timers too - then the Shetlands will follow on.  We have a young Shetland ram running with them and he is pretty alert.  But the fox comes through the lambing field to get to the chickens.  Our sheep are ridiculously tame and take no notice of my dogs even when feeding.
I have been advised to put a radio on in the lambing shed/barn and to stick a dollop of Stockholm tar on the lambs head as foxes hate the smell.  Is this true or an old Dorset wive's tale?  Worried that the ewes might not like the smell either!  I have 2 weeks to sort this out.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:23:36 pm »
I'd house them - maybe even in separate pens when small, see below. Then there's no way any ewe is going to let a fox into a pen with her whereas if the lambs are separate and in a corner I suppose it's just conceivable a fox might grab one. Much easier for ewes to defend the lambs collectively if they've got walls around them than out in an open field.

My lambing system is as follows.
In mothering up pens for 3-4 days. Out in the large grass holding pens with access to the main barn, or just the main barn, depending on weather, for up to another week, out after that. This is largely because the weather here is so foul but it also helps keep them safe.

I wouldn't put tar on the lambs, as you say, it might make the ewes take against their lambs too.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 09:31:38 pm »
I would house the ewes if possible, and yes a radio would help. I have had a radio on in my goathouse (also close to one of my hen houses - and as yet no fox attack in over five years. I would have thought it unlikely that a fox would go into a barn to take lambs, even if all ewes/ lambs are in one big pen rather than individual ones. Foxes are opportunists and won't go for a fight, but take the lamb when no ewe is there to defend it (or lamb is not well). Also I would leave the lights on.

If you have a dog getting him/her to do their business near the sheep house should also help.

In general the only thing that really saves poultry from fox/dog attacks is electric netting.

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 10:48:59 pm »
We haven't lambed yet but we have a big wether in with them who is very protective of "his girls" and faces up to all visitors.  But we'll keep our lambs very close for a month.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 02:56:58 pm »
I don't think a radio puts fox off. Was mucking out the horses one day with the radio on and fox walked right into the yard, about 3m away from me. It took a look at me, then walked back out again.   ::)

Small Farmer

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2012, 03:20:44 pm »
It's supposed to be on Radio 4 to upset the fox.
Being certain just means you haven't got all the facts

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2012, 03:47:22 pm »
 :D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »
It's supposed to be on Radio 4 to upset the fox.

Only when the Archers are on..

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 11:53:50 am »
The Archers are enough to drive me out never mind a fox!!   But I will give radio 4 a try.  I was told it was because it is mainly talking - sound of human voices rather than music - whereas you play music to milking cows.....

News this morning - one neighbour has shot 6 in the last 3 weeks and another has shot 15!  Where are they all coming from?   ::) ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS