Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The scanner is coming tomorrow  (Read 3723 times)

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
The scanner is coming tomorrow
« on: February 13, 2012, 07:02:49 pm »
Very excited  ;D

First challenge though will be to gather the sheep  ::) Am going to have to get them to my neighbours holding pens. I could walk the Roughs there as they were so placid and greedy they didn't mind crossing the bridge nor the narrow strip of land to a gate they couldn't see. Don't think I stand a chance with the Shetlands  :-\

Have decided to gather them in the pen in the high field (which we can't get a vehicle to) and then put them in the quad bike trailer and drive them round. If I put a tarpaulin over the top of the trailer, I think it'll stop them jumping out......

Going to get him to scan the goats as 1. Ellie looks like she's having quads and 2. Rowan was shouting today  :-\

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: The scanner is coming tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 07:18:21 pm »
Good luck with your busy day - I think patience is a virtue when I need to round up the sheep - I need to be calm and calculated and outwit the little devils - hope the scanning goes well
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:41:50 am »
Best of luck - on all fronts!  I'll have my fingers crossed for you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 02:01:11 am »
I bet you that nothing goes to plan - cos there are animals involved. Best of luck though :)

The master plan may work - let us know :)

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:35:44 pm »
I find that when gathering sheep by hand three is the magic number as it were - any less than that and its a right faff to get them in....this is a good time to rope in yours/someone elses kids...

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 05:15:25 pm »
Well -amazingly the plan went well  :D I put two mesh panels over the quad bike trailer, which helped cos it was light and they didn't object to going in. Bit of a squeeze getting 8 in but I guess it stopped them bouncing around. Was very good to have my sister helping, and then Dad later on, it was definitely at least a two person job!

So:
1 geld, 3 singles, 4 twins. The geld is probably not her fault, I only left the tup in for one cycle as I have only got a fortnight off over lambing and I find the later ones don't get such good care from me. Normally I'm lambing rather more than this - hopefully i'll get lots of good gimmers and can build my flock up again.

Rowan (goatling ) is having twins - i'd have preferred that she was having a single but there it is. When the wether kids go to the butchers tomorrow I'll at least be able to feed her up without them stealing her food. Ellie we could only see one kid, but it was sideways so there could easily have been one behind it. Given the size of her already plus she's had twins every year, I think I'll assume she's having twins too.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 02:39:53 am »
Well I think that's tremendous news all round.  :thumbsup: ;D  Shame about the geld one, but everything else sounds great.  Yes it would have been better if Rowan were having a single - but at least she's held.  And it sounds as though Ellie probably isn't having the quads you were fearing!   :D

And I'm so pleased you were able to get the sheep caught and trailered.  (Do you think they'll fall for it again next time you need them in?)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 07:48:59 am »
Do you think they'll fall for it again next time you need them in
ah well, there's the catch  :D

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 09:22:04 pm »
An unexpected bonus of having them scanned - I can enjoy their high kicks as they run alongside the quad bike when I'm bringing them cake and hay, without having to worry that the high kicks mean they're geld  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:24:44 pm »
An unexpected bonus of having them scanned - I can enjoy their high kicks as they run alongside the quad bike when I'm bringing them cake and hay, without having to worry that the high kicks mean they're geld  ;D
;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS