Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hampshire down breeding  (Read 1963 times)

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
Hampshire down breeding
« on: February 12, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »
Hi, question from a newbie, Can 3 year old Hampshire ewes who did not go to the tup last year go to the tup in February/March?
If they can what are the pro's & cons please

country soul

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Hampshire down breeding
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 08:21:50 am »
Ive had Hamps for ten  years and the simple answer is yes they can be mated now assuming they are fertile.
If they were mine I would hold on though and mate them to lamb in december,that way you will be able to get them back  in lamb  under normal circumstances the following year.If they lamb in July this year you are going to put  a real demand on your ewes if you want to tup them in say  Oct /Nov the following season.

Ask your self what you are trying to achieve if it is economic and you dont want ewes hanging around doing anything then sell them now as cull ewes and buy some in lamb ewes.If  your not bothered let them have a restful summer ,dont let them get two fat and mate them from July on wardwards.
I ve lambed hamps at various times of the year and without doubt ( and dependent on the weather) they do best lambing in mid feb to mid march
If you have not got a tup and are not wanting to keep the lambs  pure get a charrollais,they make outstanding cossbred lambs and good replacements if you want to keep some back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS