Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 4358 times)

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
What would you do?
« on: February 12, 2012, 09:37:40 am »
At last we have moved to the Isle of Lewis, We have an acre of fenced paddock, that was cultivated and the soil is said to be good. Also 2 1/2 acres of croft land with stream looks wet (land not stream!).
Big garden that did have veg plot and lots of trees.
We have a few chickens and would like more, but considering we are veggies what would the experts out there suggest we do first? all suggestions welcome.
I have worked with sheep and goats.....................but not sure they would be best use of the land as I can get plenty of fleece from the locals.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

HappyHippy

Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:25:35 am »
I'm definately not an expert  :D and for once I'm not going to recommend pigs  :D But a couple of Kune Kunes would graze your acres paddock nicely and not get too big or expensive to keep as 'pets'  ;) :D

I'd wait til spring and walk your 2 and a half acres - just see exactly how wet it is and if it's all over or if there are dry bits. Look to see if there are any blocked ditches or collapsed drains and maybe the drainage can be improved ? This would let you look to putting stock on it if this is the direction you want to go.
What is your heating source in the house ? If you'd make use of firewood (multifuel stove/Aga/Log fire) then I'd suggest planting some willow. This can be coppiced regularly to provide firewood, willow whips for weaving (if you're at all crafty you can make loads of stuff - baskets. hurdles, archways, the list is as endless as your imagination) you can sell cuttings after a few years and if you put in a few contorted willows you can sell the prunings for floristy too  ;)

Get the old veggie garden up and running (collect & compost your chook poo NOW  ;)) and if you've got fruit trees there think about pruning (if it's been a long time since they've been done - make sure you don't take it all off in one go, read up lots  ;))

This is only what I'd do  ;) Everybody else will be along soon.
Welcome to TAS by the way, and I look forward to hearing more  :thumbsup:
Karen  :wave:

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 12:20:02 pm »
Thanks Karen
You have given me ideas, I am booked on the course to retrain as a Harris Tweed weaver, but did do basket making long ago, so willow is a sure winner. Not only for baskets and the like, would love to do some living willow stuff? very excited!!

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 02:28:58 pm »
Thanks Karen
You have given me ideas, I am booked on the course to retrain as a Harris Tweed weaver,

Well, once you learn, I'll happily swap you some pigs for enough tweed to make me a jacket  ;)

I've seen some amazing living sculptures - there's a Viking long ship somewhere I'm sure there's a photo on the net somewhere. Good luck with it all & keep us up to date  :wave:

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 04:19:33 pm »
Long as I just supply the tweed I am all for the idea :) Just don't ask me to make the jacket :o

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 05:50:51 pm »
Dairy goats would be the obvious choice for me!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 06:22:46 pm »
I'd go with the chooks and the veg plus any fruit you can grow well on Lewis - do you have a polytunnel as that might be worth investing in to give you more range..  I'm veggie too and have stayed away from sheep much as I'd love some cos the management is far more than the cost of wool ;) tho I may yet succumb one day :)  I notice what I have to buy now still is dairy so if you're not vegan then look at either a house cow or two, dairy sheep or dairy goats and see if you then branch out into butter and cheese.

The best idea may be to hang on and see how the land changes in spring, whether it's workable, grazeable by cattle or sheep/goats.  I'd also look at how you adjust your life now you've moved, and what is missing from your home produce that is expensive to bring on the island and you could tackle.

Definitely go for some willow as windbreak for stock as well as working with and fuel.  Otherwise maybe hang on and build up slowly til you have all you need and not the wrong things for you!
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
Pity you're not nearer - we have a land management day coming up in May that might have given you some ideas.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2012, 06:57:53 pm »
If interested in polytunnel but worried about one surviving on Lewis you may want to look at the Keder ones, they are pricey but they have them in the Falklands and suchlike, very very tough!

Annoyingly they dont quote price on website but will readily provide it on the phone.
http://www.kedergreenhouse.co.uk/Default.aspx

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2012, 07:13:18 pm »
Hi, I would definately wait till you see what grass quality and amount you have on your land before purchasing livestock to see what drainage, fertilising or liming needs doing as said. But also as a fellow Northerner concentrate this summer on gettin leccy and water around the place. Our winters are dark and long, too long to be carrying buckets of water with torches!  Get the hardcore down on heavy traffic areas and repair  and fence as necessary. If you get the hard work done first when its fine then actually working the croft will be a million times easier than slopping about in the mud, dark and cold in winter.
As for the veg garden  I would ask around to see what varieties grow in your area, I am a member of the local Horticultural society that sell veg seeds that are good for my area. Lots do grow but the dwarf varieties such as Dwarf broad beans etc are better in the winds. It is the salt winds that do for veg more than the cold so a good barrier is a must do for now as well. When I dug my veg garden out I took the turfs off and built a wall with them.Rosa Rugosa is an excellent wind break and you can use the hips as well. Rabbit proofing is a must and check what mammal vermin you have, we dont have foxes or rats but otters will take poultry and polecats will too. I would definately recomend a couple of goats but check what back up you have such as feed merchants within commuting distance! or even a Billy. I have not been able to mate mine for three years as we only have a few goats on Shetland and they are all related so I have had to wait for a Billy to come from Orkney! Also Barter a lot, use what you have to introduce yourself to your neighbours as they will be able to help with tractor jobs, advice and even a few starter plants and chooks. OOh I could go on... how exciting for you and the very best of luck.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 09:39:11 pm »
so exciting, lewis is beautiful - tho iv only seen pictures, id love to live on one of the islands so ur very lucky. is lewis as windy as shetland? theres shetland property on the market which has a polytunnel in the garden so im sure if it can survive shetland itl survive anywhere.
good luck. once uv got livestock, ur time just disappears!
what breed are ur goats hermit?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 10:01:07 pm »
There are lots of polytunnels in Shetland, they are tougher than they look. Is the property Bratahlid or something like that. It has been for sale for a while now, they will take an offer I am sure Princess ;)

ps My goats are a British Alpine cross and her daughter sired from a Golden Guernsey.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:18:10 pm by Hermit »

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 10:25:30 pm »
You're veggie - but do you object to producing meat for others? Only asking as to get dairy you'll need to be breeding your cow/sheep/goat each year... Sounds obvious but you'd be surprised how many people don't click on to that :)

Otherwise I'd go with seeing what the land does, record which weeds pop up in which places, where water collects, where wheel ruts suddenly appear.... :) Find where your plumbing is! Playing "find the leak" in January is no fun :D

Chris H

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 10:34:39 pm »
Thank you all so much, so much help on tap!
I am a veggie that can not drink milk, so if we have goats it would be for fun only with no kids. The chooks we have just get old as will the ducks we plan...............
There was a polytunnel on the land and I have seen others, just neeeds to be sited well. I was surprised at Stornoway farmers market to see local wine (from grapes) as well as peaches, so anything is possible :thumbsup:
Great to be sharing a long held dream with people who understand :)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2012, 11:16:57 pm »
Sounds very exciting.  I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS