Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rats  (Read 7905 times)

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
Re: Rats
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02:14 pm »
i too have a rat problem and have had bantams taken by rats found its remains in the nest when i dug them out i dont think you can ever get rid of rats if you have chickens they just seem to attracted them i shot 12 in one night last summer. I have also lost chickens to badgers,foxes and a ferret who just ate there heads i find the best way to keep controlle of rats is to have a good dog my staffie can spend hours out side digging them up and killing them

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2012, 01:14:52 pm »
rats ?
As Crocodile Dundee said " Nah - thats not a rat - THIS IS A RAT"

Well a coypu and our neighbours tell us that they lost all their chicken to them. I thought that they were veggies but I guess with frozen lakes they will take meat.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 06:06:02 pm »
Saw three of those on a small island opposite the campsite alongside the Dordogne in Lot. Thought they were big rats -about the size of adult rabbits I would say, because we went over by canoe and placed boulders where we had seen them to confirm the size as viewed from our tent. Will be taking the shotguns over with us then MAK !

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »
That Coypu looks Mean!

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

mcginty

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Tyrone, N.I.
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 11:29:31 pm »
Have a problem with rat poison, spent a fortune on the dam stuff and it wont work.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2012, 09:06:28 pm »
sounds like weasel or stoat to me, they chew round head and throat and lap at the blood, lost many call ducks to the little *****?
Also saw one dragging one of my pullets away once.
I think a mink would have taken it away, it's amazing the strength the have for pulling.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS