Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blood in egg  (Read 4239 times)

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
Blood in egg
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »
I sell eggs in the village shop. The owner of the shop told me that he cracked an egg open recently and there was about a tablespoon's worth of blood inside.
I didn't have a clue what to say about that, so thought that I'd pick the collective brains of all you chicken experts.
Thanks!
 :)

robert waddell

Re: Blood in egg
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 04:31:51 pm »
you do get blood in eggs    usually just a spot   seams odd he picked one and it had blood in it and the volume that they claim        are they not wanting the eggs cheaper or maybe your out and anther supplier in :farmer:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »
It can happen, some individual birds are more prone to it than others.  What happens is there is a slight rupture of a blood vessel when the egg is being formed and a small bleed which shows up in the egg white.  There can also be what are called "meat spots" this is where a small piece of oviduct lining has been shed as the egg was formed

There is basically nothing wrong with the egg, but it looks unpleasant and most folk would throw it away or give it to the dog.

The commercial packing stations candle all the eggs and discard any with internal faults, and if your eggs are not too dark shelled you could get a candler or a small bright led torch.  Just press it up against the shell shine it through the egg and most internal faults, and any flaws in the shell should be visible.  It is best done in a darkened area as it makes it easier to see.

With my Marans eggs it is impossible unless in total darkness, and even then all that can be seen is the airsac.
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 04:44:33 pm »
But even  so DBE - is a tablespoon not an awful lot? ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 04:55:09 pm »
People tend to overestimate the amount of blood anywhere, especially when it has come from their own bodies  :D  I recently had a series of eggs with what I thought was a large amount of blood, but I doubt it was as much as half a teaspoon.  I suppose if it was mixed with the white it would look like a lot.
I would say to the shopkeeper that it's part of the natural process of your free range eggs, and if anyone finds blood in their egg, bring it back and you will give them a replacement box - but you want to see the evidence (said with a smile  :) 'so you can see how to treat the hen'.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Dizzycow

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Fife
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:15:22 pm »
I agree about the quantity being overestimated, Fleecewife, I'm sure you're right.

Robert, the guy wasn't bothered, so it's not about the price or anything, he just wanted to let me know in case there was something wrong with the layer. I don't like not having an answer (for anything!) ready, so that's good to know about the reason for the blood. Glad it was him, though, and not a customer.

I'm a lazy cow and I can't be bothered candling all the eggs, the cream legbar shells are quite thick and it's hard to see much.

Thanks, chaps!  :chook:

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »
We had our first one from an old Bluebell hybrid last week. Looked gruesome so we threw it away. We don't sell her eggs anyway as they have soft shells and always have had -she just lays too soon, not a calcium deficiency, its just one end of the egg isn't full coated.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:40:26 pm »
If it happens often (rather than just at the beginning or end of the laying season)  it is a usually a genetic problem with a particular bird, so if you can track down which one it is it would probably be best to remove her from the laying flock, and obviously don't breed from her.  :)
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Micki

• Joined Jan 2008
  • North Notts
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 12:28:20 pm »
I found blood in an egg last week and was wondering why. Glad i've read this as now i know that i don't have a poorly hen, all are looking fine except one that is looking like she has decided to moult.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 09:49:29 pm »
yes - it happens and there is no adverse effect or nutritional difference from having an egg with blood in it. Kosher customers would just chuck it.
I agree - that your shop keeper could simply returned such eggs then you could offer to replace them or suggest that if he wants "free range great tasting eggs with guaranteed no red spots" then you will have to double the price to him because of the cost of scanning each egg.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

princesspiggy

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:19 pm »
its years since i bought an egg - do u get the small blood dots in commercial eggs or are they candled and rejected. i thought that was cos they were fertile but our duck had one and wev no drake.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS