Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wanted, working cocker puppy - Scotland  (Read 9455 times)

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Wanted, working cocker puppy - Scotland
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 02:31:29 pm »
Hi doganjo,

That's really useful information - I haven't trained a spaniel before and would appreciate any relevant info  :) I would like to discourage retrieval behaviour and encourage pointing behaviour.  I like that they hunt within gun range and therefore are more likely to stay closer, rather than going off unting by itself.  Forgive my ignorance, but what is an HPR? Regarding field trials, the parents are both working gundogs and the advert describes "many FTCH's in pedigree".

Other nature reserves in the area are using pointers now to locate the nests of rare breeding birds like Black Grouse, so that productivity can be more accurately measured. Would it be possible to train a cocker to do the same?

I didn't say so before but one of the key reasons for getting a working cocker as a pet is because the ground around here is very rough and working cockers have a different morphology that is better suited to these conditions (as you'll know) - shorter coat less likely to felt up, shorter ears so less prone to infections from draggin their ears when nose to the ground.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 03:02:45 pm »
Sounds like you'd have been better with an HPR.  Hunter Pointer Retriever.  They are Continental or Versatile Gundogs - I breed, show, work and Judge Brittanys, the smallest of the HPRs.  They are about the same height as a Springer but shorter backed and slightly longer legged.  I doubt very much that your Cocker will point.  They aren't bred for that.  What a spaniel does in a normal driven shoot is to bumble through all the undergrowth pushing up all the game as it goes (they call it hunting  ;)).  The birds fly, the rabbits run, and millions of shooters let off shots at random, with the result some of the game is shot.  Then come the retrievers to find it and bring it back to the bag.  A bag of 100 to 200 not unusual on bigger estates.  Just my view on what I don't think is much of a sport.  Game doesn't have much chance IMO.

Now....................  an HPR will hunt an area methodically, using the wind to find game scent, will locate and point said game, hold the point for as long as needed for the guns to get close enough to shoot, flush on command, game is shot (or not depending on the skill of the Gun), then the R part of it kicks in and it is sent to retrieve the game and bring it to hand.  Result is a meal on the table for all who take part, a good day's sport for the guns, stories of the one that got away for the handlers, happy fit dogs.  A good day for all, and maybe a bag of about a half dozen birds.

I take it you did really want that lecture? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   :-[  Oops, sorry - I get carried away sometimes! :-[
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 03:34:38 pm »
No worries  ;) I think I asked for it anyway  :P as I said, the dog won't be worked in the traditional sense.  I've been in long discussions with hubbie, who doesn't really want a dog, about what sort of dog he would be happy with.  His friend has a show-strain cocker who is a lovely calm boy, hence got to thinking along those lines, and then discovered working cockers.  Simple as that really! Hubbie doesn't really need to know the difference  ;)  I've since been doing a bit more homework and discovered some cockers are terribl attention-seekers, completely fixated on their owners to the point that they can't bear any separation. The parents of the puppies I'm going to see are described as gentle and laid back, yet energetic - sounds perfect.

Had a look on your website just now, handsome dogs you have!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2009, 12:43:56 am »
Thank you.  Mine are line bred to French Dual Champions, not just show ones.  No separation between show and work in HPRs - they are 'Good-looking AND Intelligent' - my kennel motto!  I am off to Judge in Norway next month - really looking forward to that - but the highlight of my career was judging at Crufts in 2007.  If I had a litter planned I'd have sent you pedigrees, but credit crunch has made me cautious - I know of too many dogs being abandoned, and puppies unsold at 3, 4 and 5 months.

Enjoy your dog, pet or not, DO something with him or her - you will all get more out of the relationship.  Just look at that - another bloomin' lecture! ::) ::) ::) :-[ :-[  Sorry!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS