Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep down/ Help needed  (Read 3359 times)

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
Sheep down/ Help needed
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:49:41 am »
Hi, as we were seeing to our animals this morning we noticed a sheep down in a neighbours field, tried to phone him but phone turned off or out of range, anyway we went to see if we could help, it seems to have slipped on a slope and was laying on its side, head down the bank, rear end pointing up the bank, we tried to stand it up but it has obviously been there all night and has does not want to put any weight on it's back leg also very dirty at the back end, it was very cold and weak so we have carried it over the fence and placed it in our old wooden pony trailer on lots of straw and then covered it in more straw, it has eaten sheep nuts out of my hand and is chewing on some hay, we have given it a warm drink of water & sugar out of a shallow dish and it seems content to lay there but what now? I know we have to stand it up to pee but how often? Is there anything else we should do?
Regards Ann

robert waddell

Re: Sheep down/ Help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 12:10:51 pm »
inform its owner and hand it back :farmer:

mmu

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 12:15:50 pm »
Sadly I have to agree, try really hard to contact the owner and then walk away.  You've done really well, and I know it's hard to just leave it there, but once the owner knows, it's his/her responsibilty.  Maybe watch from a distance to make sure they look after it, but you've probably saved it's life so now it's up to the owner. They should have been checking their sheep daily anyway, so should have already noticed something's wrong.
We keep Ryelands, Southdowns, Oxford Downs, Herdwicks, Soay, Lleyn, an Exmoor pony and Shetland geese.  Find us on Twitter as @RareBreedsScot

trying

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Lincs Notts border
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:19:46 pm »
Hi, thank you for your reply and yes you are right we do need to do that but until we can contact him I just wanted to make sure we were not doing any thing wrong or that would do more harm than good and right or wrong we could not leave it were it was it is freezing here.

PetiteGalette

• Joined Dec 2011
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 02:04:39 pm »
Well done for both your initiative and for intervening to help your neighbour's sheep.  I'd be only too grateful if someone had done this service for me especially if, for some reason, I was unable to do my rounds.
Have you tried going round to his house and leaving a note on the door?
I'd try lifting her to pee every 3 hours but I'm no expert (hopefully one will log on soon) just to relieve the pressure on her bladder.
A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds, and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn't see the clouds at all - he's walking on them.  ~Leonard Louis Levinson

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 02:11:28 pm »
I think you have done all you can, really. Just keep it comfortable till he can pick it up. You've already gone above and beyond, were it me, I would be very grateful.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:15:42 pm »
Hopefully she'll get herself up when warmed and ready. When a girl, I spent over an hour in an icy river, keeping a sheep above water until it's owner turned up(someone had gone for him) only to find out he'd waited to have his dinner before coming out :o :o Dad told me I should have waited for him to get the sheep out then pushed him in >:( >:(

robert waddell

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 02:17:42 pm »
he must have been a bat fastard thought more of his guts than his sheep or you  :farmer:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 06:27:23 pm »
Thank you 'trying' for coming to the aid of this sheep.  It may be the owners responsibility but it would be inhumane to ignore an animal in need.
It sounds as if it perhaps already had something wrong with it, as although it was in an awkward position, it was not classically cowped ie upside down.  Still, with it's backend higher than it's mouth, the gases would have built up in the gut, so the same prinicpal would apply as when a sheep is cowped. So first thing is to stand it up and hold onto it while it burps and gets it's bearings.  If it is ok it should be alright to let it go, although the owner might prefer to give it a once-over himself.
Your ewe appears to have hurt a leg and to be in poor shape.  Check it hasn't actually broken a leg, but even so stand it every couple of hours to burp and pee.  You are doing what you can, with some food and water until you can contact the owner, who will hopefully give an immediate antibiotic suitable for pneumonia before seeing what else can be done - an animal which has lain all night will be at severe risk of pneumonia.
Just to be on the safe side, as soon as the sheep has been collected, burn the straw or bedding it was lying on and disinfect the horse box.  Also do not handle your own animals until you have had the chance to clean up.
I hope she is ok and that your neighbour takes proper care of her, even if that involves having her put down.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:30:59 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS